Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake pad suggestions for stock brakes.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 10:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Brake pad suggestions for stock brakes.

Just as the title says, I'm in need of some new brake pads. The brakes suck on these cars as it is, but is there any benefit to going with a fancy performance pad, or will picking up a good solid pad from a local auto store work just as well? I saw a few items at advance auto from raybestos and satisfied that looked nice, but then I hear about Green Stuff pads. With the stock brakes not being great as it is, would there be a benefit waiting for "better" pads from the mail or just going with a quality local store product.

Also, do I have to replace the rotors, or would popping in some new pads be fine? I currently have no vibrations while braking so my guess is the rotors are fine. Thanks for the help.

-Brian
Old 01-22-2006, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, I m probably not a brakes experts but I ll give you my .02
my front rotors went bad at 30 000 miles, easy to identify, when you break it vibrates
I was told it eventually does that to everybody
so I got the duralast from autozone after talking to lots of friends
now my brake pads are also dying and I got the Hawk HPS brake pads for front and rear for 130 shipped from speed inc, I read only good thing about them too

I would really do rotors and pads at the same time, that way you eliminate a future issue
Old 01-22-2006, 10:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pads are worth the upgrade, it just comes down to how much dust and noise you can take. You can upgrade, to the LS1 brakes, or the C5 brakes might be a little easier since you can keep the stock spindles with the C5 upgrade v.s. the LS1 brakes where you would have to get LS1 spindles.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

Talking

I would at least have the rotors turned. How many miles do you have on them?
I like my Hawk HPS pads.

Bill
Old 01-23-2006, 07:40 AM
TECH Addict

Well, the last time the brakes were done, I got the rotors replaced because the stockers were pretty badly warped (I was 17 and did too many 120+ mph braking sessions lol). I prob had this done at maybe 45k miles and the car currently has 65k on it. The brakes dont shimmy or shake but I kno the pads are just about done. As far as the amount of dust, its not a huge concern because I wash the car pretty regularly, but of course a huge amount after a normal drive would not be cool. How much is a reasonable price to have the rotors turned and pads replaced not including the cost of the parts? Thanks for everyones opinions.

-Brian

Quick Reply: Brake pad suggestions for stock brakes.