Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What local place would you trust to work on your brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 08:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default What local place would you trust to work on your brakes?

Well, I'm looking to simply get the rotors cut and installs some new pads. The prices I have seen advertised from places like NTB, Meineke dont look too shabby, but I really dont trust anyone with the car. The unfortunate part is I would do it myself but this car is currently a DD and I dont have the time. What if any, good experiences have you had at these types of local chain places?

-Brian
Old 01-23-2006, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I ran stock front brakes, I haven't had any terrible experiences with most of the mainstream brand shops, however once they are installed, I will advise to bed them in properly before doing any performance braking.

Changing pads and rotors themselves aren't really that difficult, just need to take some care when doing so. Here's a document from a website that was contributed by this website's very own mitchntx.

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...ds_mwarren.htm
Old 01-24-2006, 05:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was taking a look at that and I could certainly do it, I just really do not have the time. I'm still in college and my days are close to 12 hrs long with work and such. I looked around and the price to have them cut and installed will be a little over 100 bucks. I think I may just go that route. As with anything, I gotta read the fine print on what they will try to tack on to the total of that, but it still sounds like a decent deal. Its simply just gotta get taken care of. Thanks for the link.

-Brian
Old 01-24-2006, 06:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, know what you mean, since I just finished my 2nd bacc. It's nice to know though that at least there is an alternative, especially if you have ever dealt with incompetent workers (like I have, and more times than I care to admit).
Old 01-25-2006, 02:48 PM
Staging Lane

I'd be cautious about a $100 front brake job. The pads alone cost almost that much or more depending on what you want. Make sure they use ceramic pads not the semi-metallic ones. It really does make a difference. The 98-02 cars comes with ceramic on them I'm not sure about the 97 and older. I have a 95 firebird and I went back to the GM pads and it does make a noticable difference from the average run of the mill pads. You are also likely to get a lot of brake dusting on the front wheels from the cheaper pads. You might buy them yourself so you know what you are getting and have them do the labor.

Good luck

Quick Reply: What local place would you trust to work on your brakes?