Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Clattering noise from the front calipers

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 06:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Clattering noise from the front calipers

My problem is my front left caliper makes a clanking noise when i dont apply any brake pressure, so it just makes clattering sounds, but the minute i step on the brakes it stops. I've replaced the pads and rotor already and tightened everything back down, but when i go to drive around, same sound is still there! with the wheel mounted and everthing buttoned up, when you go to wiggle the caliper, it woggles back and forth enough to make the sound i'm discribing. i dont really have an idea of what it is or how it happened. bought the car like that with out even noticing it. any help? when i'm on the free way it becomes ultra scary, you can kinda hear a low rumble grinding noise coming when i apply the brakes. Please help!!

thanks in advance!!!
Old 01-25-2006, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whoa, you shouldn't be able to wiggle the caliper. Have you tried to tighten the caliper bolts?
Old 01-25-2006, 06:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

yeah!! that's whats bummin me out cant figure out why it's doing that. i bought it like that without knowning, they had the stereo up (2 15 inch subs in the back so i couldnt really hear any car noises, i learned my leason) and when i was driving it around it sounded like it was all there and nothing was wrong, it correct's itself after you step on the brake, but the minute you let go...clattering sound happens again.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:36 PM
Banned

get new slids
Old 01-25-2006, 07:38 PM
Banned

if you have an 97 and older look at the slides on the cailper bolt. 98 up check the slide and the bolts that go in the slides.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

what do i check for on the slides? Slides are the ones that the bolts screw into right? and they have like a rubber grommet or somthing like that around them? i have a 2000 btw, thanks for the help so far!!

Quick Reply: Clattering noise from the front calipers