Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

The perfect spring/shock/strut combo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The perfect spring/shock/strut combo?

To you suspension gurus out there.

My current setup – 99 SS Vert, Eibach Sportline and Monroe shock/struts (yuck!) The stance looks great. It really looks good, and I get complements on it all the time. But the ride is rough and I think the combo isn’t doing me any favors when it comes to handling or running at the drag strip.

Goal – A nice low stance similar to the current stance, would be willing to compromise a bit of low stance. I would like a nice balance between ride/handling/drag-performance.
I thought about using an adjustable strut/shock combo but have no clue about what is good. The adjustable shocks in my slight knowledge will allow me greater flexibility if I’m at the drag strip or on the street.

What I need – A MATCHED shock/strut/spring combo that would meet my goals. If possible part numbers or links would be great. Let me know what my options are. Thanks!!
Old 01-28-2006, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

noone has any input?

I want to buy this stuff soon. Before this money burns a whole in my pocket.
Old 01-28-2006, 07:53 PM
Teching In

I'd say regular Eibachs (Pro-Kit) and good ol' Bilstein shocks. In fact, perhaps you
should swap your monroe's for Bilsteins right now. Shocks make all the difference.
That's my keep it simple suggestion.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:10 AM
12 Second Club

alot of the guys are running revalved bilstein's, check those
Old 01-29-2006, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I were you I would contact Sam Strano. Everyone around here praises him for knowing his stuff so well. www.stranoparts.com
Old 01-29-2006, 01:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

i also want to do something with my suspension, i like that the G2 springs lower almost 2 inchs but it says to use the bilstein gas shocks and my buddy has those on his tacoma and they honestly feel like ****. could i use the bilstein shocks from the SLP package with the G2 springs?
Old 01-30-2006, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Drag racing set up is the opposite of a handling set-up. For drag racing lowering the front is bad. Get QA1 with a drag spring. They will let the weight transfer to the back fast. They adjust some but not much. For the drag 275 lb/in spring is used alot. For Auto-x alot use 500 lb/in. If u use a soft spring for drag and lower the car it will bottom out alot.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:56 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call Sam Strano and call it a day. He will be very honest with you.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:34 AM
TECH Veteran

I'm not sure why L.G. recommends the regular Bilsteins. I'm waiting to put on my G2 springs b/c I can't really afford Konis right now.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:15 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Perfect is in the eye of the beholder. Bob could love something I hate. That's the way the world works.

Many folks use HD's on lowering springs, and think it's fine. I don't. Based on a number of reasons but the two biggest is that I find an utter lack of damping, which doesn't shock me (pun intended) as Bilstein doesn't pull any punches about HD's not being suitable for lowering springs.

Why a company would choose to sell them for lowered cars? Beats me. But I will say it's easier to sell product that is cheaper than it is product that costs more. And many folks don't tend to do much research, which makes it easy. Bilstein is a premium name, and I find many buy based only on that.

SLP Eibach's are not exactly stiff, and SLP even recognized the need for different damping than HD's have. These shocks are valved for a specifc spring which is very different than any other lowering spring, and the SLP shocks are still valved with ride a huge concern, which is why they aren't stiffer. Note the fact they have LESS compression damping than HD's do.... No reason for that because HD's aren't bad riding. They were trying to be all things to all people. And as a package the Level 1 stuff isn't horrible. Frankly it would have been great as the OEM stuff. Use those shocks with other springs, and it's a mis-match. And although it does not handle badly at all, it's not hard to do better......
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 01-30-2006, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sam This guy wants said "I would like a nice balance between ride/handling/drag-performance." Should he Bilsteins for that????? What else would be good for the drags????
Old 01-30-2006, 01:12 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

That is subjective. I talk to folks everyday, all day. And I find that an one person's definition of "balance" or "handling" or "ride" is different from someone else's.... I don't know this fellow, so I will not presume to know what he means by a "nice balance" until I do speak to him and assess his wants.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 01-30-2006, 07:06 PM
TECH Resident

Just give Sam a call. He will hook you up

Quick Reply: The perfect spring/shock/strut combo?