Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

front brakes on rear

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 11:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front brakes on rear

Does anyone have a link or idea as to where I can buy the appropiate mounting hardware or kit to install the front calipers on the rear? Rotors too.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:41 PM
TECH Addict

I'm going to watch this thread. I was intrested in doing this to my mustang a long time ago. Very few people did it and in all honesty the more I think about it the more it seems to be a waste.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:06 PM
Teching In

Maybe a waste as far as trying to, at the most, moderatly improve braking. Since I have upgraded the fronts with new equipment, it would seem like a waste not to do it, both aesthetically, and for the minimal improvement in braking. They're just sitting in a box, when they could be on the car. In my case, it will definitely look better since my wheels are so wide open...I need to fill em'up!
Old 01-29-2006, 04:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll have too much rear piston area and you'll have an extremely difficult time getting the brake bias adjusted (if you can even get it anywhere close to where it needs to be). You'll mostly spend your time trying to stop with the rear wheels locked up. About the only place you can get away with "matching" sized brakes on both ends is a high downforce application like F1 or Cart/IRL and similar cars. You'll just overpower the rear tires when you apply the brakes. Save your money and the headaches and leave the rear alone.

I don't know if it's still there, but Baer had a tech article about this on their site many years ago (which also said not to do it).
Old 01-29-2006, 05:26 PM
TECH Addict

What trackbird is saying:

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...upgrades.shtml
Old 01-29-2006, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

Smile I agree

I couldn't have said it better trackbird. Generally we see a piston size much smaller on the rear. If you would like I could run a comparison to let you know what size piston bore you will need on the rear to keep a good bias. Give me a call or drop me an email, and I will be happy to run the numbers. Good luck

Quick Reply: front brakes on rear