Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

My first driving impressions of QA1 "R" Series shocks

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 11:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My first driving impressions of QA1 "R" Series shocks

I finally got the R Series front shocks on my car. It was really easy since I got all new shock mounts and didn't have to disassemble the stockers for the top mounts. This means I also finally got the front end lowered to match the rear end, and the car sits perfect now.

These things are not nearly as bad on the street as I thought they would be. They have fixed compression (which is just perfect) and adjustable rebound, as opposed to the Gen F shocks, which adjusts both at the same time. Adjustment of the shock is easy, but adjusting the ride height is a pain in the ***. It's not difficult, but you can only move the spanner wrench so far for each stroke. It took me over an hour to get the ride height set.

I drove the car for a couple hundred miles already, including a trip into downtown Chicago. The only scraping I've experienced is when going over a large smooth dip in the road, which caused the air dam to drag. I also hit my passenger side header a couple times, but that is because of the ride height, and not because of the shock.

They ride pretty smooth actually. With my old stockers, my Alpine CD player skipped a lot on bumps. Since I put the QA1's in, it hasn't skipped once. I have them still set on the lowest seting for fast front end rise on launch. Even with cold roads and street tires, when I nail the throttle, the nose jumps up and sticks there until you get out of the throttle. I can't wait to see how it works with warm roads and Nittos They don't nose dive at all on hard stops either.

So, in all, QA1 "R" Series shocks are completely streetable. I'm sure they'll wear out fast though. Good thing they're rebuildable.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:42 PM
Banned

sounds good...
Old 02-04-2006, 01:14 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the opinion. Youve helped me make my choice when the time comes. Most people who say theyre unstreetable have never tried them.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:53 AM
TECH Addict

I have always wanted that shock set-up for my T/A. Good write up on them, can't wait to see my cars front lift up when i install a set.
-Joel
Old 02-04-2006, 01:43 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I found them to not be that bad. I run them at 8-9 on the front for regular driving.

A word of advice, don't leave them on full loose or near full loose all the time. In a panic situation (fast lane change, hitting a turn with to much speed,swerving) the car will be hard to control. One side will unload and your *** will come swinging around really quick.

I know from experience . Luckily I was able to save it. Otherwise there would be another RIP in my sig for my '02.

Last edited by SSmokin 01; 02-04-2006 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:58 PM
TECH Resident

when people say they where out fast... how fast and why???????????????

Quick Reply: My first driving impressions of QA1 "R" Series shocks