Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Squealing after rotor/pad install

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 10:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squealing after rotor/pad install

Install was on the front and I just got some rotors and pads from Autozone. Rotors are fine but the front squeal like hell. Someone told me I needed ceramic pads? and that would stop the squealing? I think the ones on there now are metallic and I didnt know any difference then Any help is appreciated.

P.S.- How are the Hawk pads?
Old 02-03-2006, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd honestly say its normal. Metallic pads are known to squeek, but as long as you break them in right, its going to stop your car. (Hawk pads are great btw)

Similar thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/438891-brake-pads.html
Old 02-03-2006, 07:23 PM
TECH Regular

Hawks are great, but even my rear hawks squeaked. I put some old anti-squeak permatex stuff on them and now they are whisper quiet. Try using some anti-sqeak gel or spray before switiching pads
Old 02-03-2006, 09:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just make sure to coat any metal to metal contacting surface between the calipers and pads, including the little metal clips with the brake squeal stuff that autozone has in those little 99 cent packets. and make sure to properly brake them in or you will have to resurface or scrub the glaze off. slammed on my brakes right after i got them on bc an old lady jumped infront of me and had them squealing like crazy. but after spending a few hours scrubbing the rotors down with a scotch brite hard sponge (i have cross drilled rotors) no more squeaks.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:34 PM
Banned

gotta make sure to grease them up...Where the calipers contact the bracket, and grease the back of the pad itself...and take out the sliders and grease them also...Put some antiseize on the bolts as well

Quick Reply: Squealing after rotor/pad install