Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Tramlining, Ideas?

Old 02-10-2006, 05:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tramlining, Ideas?

Hello everybody!

A few weeks before I changed my setup from the standard 16"-5 Spokes and
245/50ZR16 all around to 17*9.5 wheels with 40mm offset and Hankook sport K104 tyres in the dimension 275/40ZR17 all around.

Everything fits perfectly and the car looks great, but now I have a very strong tramlining effect. At higher speeds (> 90-100mph, I'm living in germany), the car is'nt easy to control anymore.

I knew and expected that changing to wider tyres in the front, combined with the 40mm offset would bring some handling / tramlining... But I'm suprised how vehemently the car now snaps in...

Has anybody made the same experience? Do you think it's mainly a question of the type of tyres? I'm going to install Bilstein HD shocks, do think this will
help?

The car has still the stock shocks and springs, only LCA's and a PHB from UMI...

Any suggestions?

Thank you, Holger
Old 02-10-2006, 09:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Unfortunately it is something that nearly all of us with wide tires have experinced. It mainly depends on the road surface, wether or not it has ruts...I notice it quite a bit on slightly rutted roads, but on a nice flat surface it goes away. One night I was coming home and there was nobody else around, so for the heck of it I decided to let go of the steering wheel and see what happens. For atleast a half mile the car went from the line on the shoulder over to the divider line and back...all by itself. I bet over the half mile distance it went back and forth 10 times.

Tires do make a difference as well. My car did it a lot with the stock Goodyear F1s, but then I switched to BFG KDWS tires and most of it went away.

I would have the alignment checked and make sure the tires are run at the proper pressures...other than that, it's sort of the nature of the beast.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow my car does it so bad that if I did that on some of the roads here I would end up in someones front yard.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tramlining, Ideas?