Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brakes Squeaking after replacement maybe shims?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 05:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes Squeaking after replacement maybe shims?

I just replaced my front brakes, and got drilled slotted rotors and carbon metalic brake pads. I notice a squeaking noise coming from them. Is it neccessary to use the metal shims that attach to the top and bottom of the brake pad, I know my other car didnt have them, and the pads slipped right in and held just fine. That is the only place I can think that the noise could be coming from. Any help would be appreciated!
Old 02-24-2006, 03:02 AM
On The Tree

did u figure this out yet?
Old 02-24-2006, 04:21 AM
TECH Addict

If you're talking about the Anti-Rattle clips - then yes, that's what they're for...

To be honest, I can't remember if my stock brakes had the clips or not - have Baer GT+ setup right now. Basically you should use every part that was there from factory.

Your pads should have come with the squeal isolation pads afixed to the backs of the pads if they were quality pads. Squealing can come from the typew of pad compound you are using or from vibration of the pads against their mounting points due to warped rotors - even if only ever so slightly.

I originally used Raybestos Quiet Stop pads on the front brakes when stock - metallic/ceramic compound with NO dusting and NO squealing. When I installed the Baer setup and went with HAWK HPS pads I had problems with brake noise - went back to the Raybestos pads and the noise has disappeared.

Last edited by 1QUIKWS6; 02-24-2006 at 04:27 AM.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:36 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

altittle squeeking after a brake job is normal, pads need to seat themselves. It should stop after alittle bit.

Quick Reply: Brakes Squeaking after replacement maybe shims?