Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

show me your big brakes!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 01:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what does this starting at 999 kit look like. What options do you have avalible at the 1k mark. Going on a 96 z28
Old 02-15-2006, 02:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SVC707

i just went with the c5 kit with lg brackets
Did you install the bracket wrong or is the caliper supposed to be that low?
Old 02-15-2006, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

nope thats where is goes
Old 02-15-2006, 03:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by VictorT
For $999, we have a one piece rotor set with 4 piston Superlite calipers. Here is about what that kit will look like Now for a bit more ($1199), we have a 2 piece rotor kit with 4 piston Superlites which will look something like this. accept it will sport a 4 piston caliper.

sounds great what rotor sizes are we talking. I was looking at the bear sport and the c5 kit to. I like the c5 kit only because i know where i can get the replacement parts. But a 4 piston caliper would proballt give me alot more stopping power than what i have now. Is this all i need will i need a better master cylinder and what do you offer for rear rotors?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 02-15-2006, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blackstang3o2
sounds great what rotor sizes are we talking. I was looking at the bear sport and the c5 kit to. I like the c5 kit only because i know where i can get the replacement parts. But a 4 piston caliper would proballt give me alot more stopping power than what i have now. Is this all i need will i need a better master cylinder and what do you offer for rear rotors?

Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike,

The kits here are both 12.81 x 1.25, and they will require 17inch wheels. I would surely urge you to go with a four piston caliper since they have zero flex. As for the rear, I have several available, depending on which axle is on the car. Finally, we normally build these kits to work with the OE master, so there will not be a need to change it. We also offer to LS1 members free shipping (lower 48 states) and a free 6 pack of high temp brake fluid with the purchase of one or more of our kits.

Let me know if you have any more questions,

Regards
Old 02-15-2006, 06:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes sir, that is one of our 6 piston kits. I do have pics of both if you would like to see some more.

Regards,

I would like to see some pics please!!!

Also what pads are used for the kits?

Let me be more specific-re: pads, for example, the Baer 4-piston setup uses the same pads as C4 Corvettes, or maybe even the C5, I forget which one, what pads from what vehicle are used? Does this make sense?

Sorry for the confusion...I am VERY interested.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Carlos01SS
I would like to see some pics please!!!

Also what pads are used for the kits?

Let me be more specific-re: pads, for example, the Baer 4-piston setup uses the same pads as C4 Corvettes, or maybe even the C5, I forget which one, what pads from what vehicle are used? Does this make sense?

Sorry for the confusion...I am VERY interested.

No confusion here... that is a good question. So about the pads, this is one part about our kits that is so great. We carry Wilwood, Porterfield and Hawk pads, so there is quite bit of flexibility. The thing about these calipers is that they do not just use a certain car's pads. You would be asking after this for 4 3/4 inch stockcar pads which you can find pretty much anywhere. I would suggest that you consider the Porterfield R4-S kevlar carbon compound because these things bite like a rabid dog! Here are some pics with the kit mounted under a wheel, enjoy!

Front kit mounted

Rear kit Mounted

Sorry I don't have any on an F body, but I am working on that. Let me know if you would like to know anything else,

Regards

Last edited by VictorT; 02-16-2006 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:34 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SVC707

i just went with the c5 kit with lg brackets
I'm guessing those are 17's that are pictured. Were there any clearance issues with your wheels?
Old 02-16-2006, 04:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

18's they are very close but they do not touch. im guessing these wheels are made with a 17" center and 18' barrel
Old 02-17-2006, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

Thanks,
Mike

Hey Man,

I heard you called the other day, sorry I missed you, but I will be in today if you would like to talk about your car.

Regards,
Old 02-17-2006, 11:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have one of Precisions 6 piston kits. I'd love to post pictures, but the car is on my winter wheels (which I DO NOT clean) and running race pads so the wheels are that special shade of brake dust that's just ugly. And, I'm not big on detailing things, so everything is dirty. However, I can tell you that the kit works great and the car stops amazingly well.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CamaroSS621
I have 18s on the front and 19s on the back currently but I was gonna get a set of 15inc pro stars for the track. I couldnt use them then right?
The 18's up front wont clear big brakes such as willwood or whatever they are...
Old 02-17-2006, 04:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 785T/A
The 18's up front wont clear big brakes such as willwood or whatever they are...

That can be true, but it really depends on the wheels, so this is why our company uses templates to insure what you buy will fit under your wheels...
Old 02-17-2006, 05:26 PM
Staging Lane

Hey Man,

I heard you called the other day, sorry I missed you, but I will be in today if you would like to talk about your car.

Regards,
wasnt me i was out cursing out the rest of the car. I got to get in touch with you though i noticed today while polishing my wheels i have stress cracks in all the rotors. I will be looking at march to get some brakes done.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:34 PM
On The Tree

wasnt me i was out cursing out the rest of the car. I got to get in touch with you though i noticed today while polishing my wheels i have stress cracks in all the rotors. I will be looking at march to get some brakes done.
Well shoot, I dunno who it was then. I wonder what caused your stress cracks... But anyway, yea, I will make sure we get you a great set up. Just let me know.

Last edited by VictorT; 02-17-2006 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd like to show my kit, but I don't have it yet! I ordered it 3 weeks ago and I think it will still be another 4-6 weeks before I see anything. I purchased a custom kit from Precision, using 15" 6-piston fronts and 14" 4-piston rear (with an external Mr. Parker E brake). I am really looking forward to getting the kit, and so far I have to say Precision has done fairly well with their customer service (even with being super busy).
Old 02-17-2006, 07:55 PM
Staging Lane

I certainly don't mean to hijack this thread but, Victor, I'm wondering what the replacement costs are. I'm wondering particularly about a two-piece rotor, 13", and six piston calipers, race-type pads (road course, not much street driving).

These would have replaced a set-up on a '96 bird if that matters...

Thanks in advance...
Old 02-17-2006, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GXP Lover
I certainly don't mean to hijack this thread but, Victor, I'm wondering what the replacement costs are. I'm wondering particularly about a two-piece rotor, 13", and six piston calipers, race-type pads (road course, not much street driving).

These would have replaced a set-up on a '96 bird if that matters...

Thanks in advance...

No problem, I would be happy to explain this since it is something that many people wonder about when buying a new brake system. And I too do not wish to offend anyone by going off topic... My Apologies!!!

The great thing about a 2 piece rotor system is that you need only replace the rotor its self. I generally see the rotors go for around $220 each, the pads for around the 100 dollar mark depending on which compound you would like, and I have yet to see anyone have to replace the calipers, but you can generally rebuild one for around 35 bucks give or take. I hope this helps, but let me know if you would like more info,

Regards
Old 02-18-2006, 08:46 AM
On The Tree

Kevin, check your PM's.

Doug D
Old 02-18-2006, 11:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DougsfastZ
Kevin, check your PM's.

Doug D
Me? I didn't get anything (or was it another Kevin?).

Quick Reply: show me your big brakes!!