Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI subframe welding question

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 11:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default UMI subframe welding question

with UMI's weld in 2 point boxed subframes, i just got mine done and we didn't weld them in the back, they are welded in the front only.

as you can see here, there is one weld from UMI's site..but there atleast a .25" gap, if not more on mine, it looks larger than the one here, i figured the bolt was good enough for the back
help is appreciated

Old 02-15-2006, 02:53 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had mine welded in last week. I had the same gap in the rear (about .25-.5 inch), but I had the shop fill the gap. It's really not a big deal, as long as the gap isn't close to 1 inch or something like that...then there's something wrong. I also had them weld around some other points at the rear connection (vertically on both tabs at the area closest to the front of the car on the rear mount point)..if that makes sense.
I'd go back and have your rear mounting point welded just for that extra bit of stiffness, but just my $.02
Old 06-03-2006, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure what you mean, where exactly do you weld it? Are you talking about the gap in the middle where the 1 weld takes place? I just ordered UMI boxed weld in SFC's/adj. LCA's, and an adj. panhard bar.

I just don't understand where you have to weld it, or what the problem is. Someone fill me in!

I see that you make 2 welds in the front of the car...like this pic where you can see where it's welded. But doesn't the back where it goes into the LCA's just bolt in? Or do you have to weld the SFC into the bracket in the rear as well?

Nevermind, I got it. I thought you were just talking about the back of the rear bracket.

Last edited by blind527; 06-03-2006 at 10:34 PM.

Quick Reply: UMI subframe welding question