Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

No Break Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 07:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Break Pedal

Ok about 3 months ago i bought an accord as a daily driver, and since then every time i drive my TA it felt like te breaks where going, so i put new pads on the fron and now its worst then before. I bleed the breaks and only like one little air bubble came out. Also the driver side caliper is like kind of locked it think. i can turn the wheel but its really hard. And when i hit the brakes it pulls slightly to the passenger side. And now i have no pedal. I can drive it and stop as long as i am slowly stopping if i kit pedal hard it just squishes to the floor. It will lock the wheels up if i go all the way to the floor. I have read something about bleeding the abs, but if it worked fine before how would it get air into it.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

some times when you bleed the brakes normally you crack the bleeder a little, but sometimes if that doesnt work open the bleeder more than you would normally...there might be some air trapped in there...i had the same problem on my volkswagen when i changed the brake line
Old 02-22-2006, 09:43 PM
Staging Lane

I just don't understand how air would have got into the line all change were the pads. I also pretty much flushed the brake lines out i just kept bleeding them until i started to see clean breakfluid instead of black fluid. so i think there bleed pretty good. Thanks for the reply
Old 02-23-2006, 02:49 AM
Staging Lane

If your brakes have been bled correctly and the pedal is still soft or goes down to far and there is no leaking of brake fluid anywhere, than I would guess you have a worn master cylinder...
Have you made a brake test on test stand?
I think you also have to rebuild at least your driver side caliper, if a piston is clamped inside.

Sorry for my bad english... I'm from Germany.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:29 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the repleis looks like i will be replacing the calipers and possibly master cylinder this weekend
Old 02-23-2006, 12:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Try buying the inexpensive re-build kits for your master cylinder and calipers. The kits have new o-rings and seals that wear out. These can be easily replaced instead of buying expensive hard parts you really don't need.

If your pedal was soft before the pad swap it is likely a bad calipar or master cylinder seal. Is there any sign of leaking brake fluid? If not, it is probably a bleed issue with trapped air in the lines. You can bleed like hell but not get all the air out.

Try a reverse brake bleeder that forces new fluid up from the caliper bleed screw up to the master/reservor.... these tools are cheap ($25 USD) and work very well. I would never bleed without this inexpensive tool again.