Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Car Humps Ground...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 01:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car Humps Ground...

My car usually cruising around in 2nd gear slowly around corners or through parking lots will hump the ground. It makes the bouncing motions n all that, it is REALLY annoying. My car is lowered, I was wondering if relocation brackets and lower control arms would help that? Is it something else that is doing this? I haven't really got on the gas much because it makes a jerky motion under acceleration like the drivetrain snaps tight and lets loose... afraid to break something. Also when I let off the gas I can feel the transmission drop (after hard acceleration) and I think I miss 3rd mostly due to that (transmission drops and the motion going to 3rd). Hope this is in the right section, I just heard some guys cars when lowered were jerky and needed relocation brackets.

Any ideas?
Old 03-10-2006, 01:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm.

You say that your car is lowered, but how low and with what? The reason I ask is because if you used something like eibach sportlines and placed them over the stock shocks, then I can see why you're having the problems you are having. While many will say that it's okay to use springs that yield really low ride height while using a soft spring rate and in addition using the stock shocks which have poor valving with even the stock springs, you get the problems you mention. Also the stock shock may be very old, which can result in the "bathtub" momentum you're getting from the vehicle.

AFA the reolcation brackets, they may or may not be necessary, but I can say that when they are needed, it isn't due to the problems you mentioned.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:24 AM
TECH Junkie

I agree with Foxxton. Sounds a lot like a damper problem. Mine used to do that on larger bumps when I ran KYB shocks with my Hotchkis springs.

-Mike
Old 03-10-2006, 08:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That's prob the funniest thread title I've seen in a long time.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol well it has Eibach springs, Bilstein HD shocks, Spohn adj. panhard. The car is pretty stiff and don't bounce much, it isn't really that low to the ground either... I was thinking it had something to do w/ the rearend pulling back under acceleration... and that causing everything to pull tight like something isn't being held properly. It's not a bounce really, its a Jerk. I heard some aluminum flywheels would cause jerking but I don't know if that is it?
Old 03-10-2006, 02:14 PM
Launching!

I'm confused.... It bounces while cruising to the point it "humps the ground", and jerks under acceleration. Now it just jerks and you feel slack in the drivetrain.... Could be two seperate issues. If indeed you are "humping" that would be a damper problem, although HD's are far better than the DeCarbons even on lowered cars, they still do not have enough rebound to cope with Eibachs spring rates, and could possibly be broken.

Quick Reply: Car Humps Ground...