Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

benefit torque arm

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 05:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default benefit torque arm

would i see any benifit wapping in an aftermarket torque arm into my full bolt on DD? the car is strickly driven on the street and never see's the track.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did it primarily to stop wheel hop and protect my tail shaft (6 spd). If you don't plan to race, I probably wouldn't.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I thought it kept the rear under the car when hammering through turns, but I also had the lca and pan hard done at the same time, might have been the feel of a good collection of parts.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Panhard bar keeps the axle located under the car under side loads (cornering)

Lower control arms keep the axle squared away front to back...

Torque arm keeps the driveshaft from spinning around the axle and cutting your car in half when you accelerate or break (slight exaggeration)

That being said, the torque arm isnt really going to pay off in terms of handling except to the very slight extent that it might help you plant the power better coming out of a corner and getting on the accel.

A torque arm's shining (or fatal) moment in the spotlight is usually the dragstrip launch. If you've got lots of power or are making preparation for lots of power and plan on doing hard launches on sticky tires, a torque arm is worthwhile. But for a bolt-on daily driver, I've found aftermarket torque arms to be an almost waste of money, especially the non-tailshaft mounted ones because of the interior vibration.

Quick Reply: benefit torque arm