Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

My "stock" drop springs...cutting/torching question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My "stock" drop springs...cutting/torching question.

Need a little advice and help...

When I bought my car, I was told (by the second owner) that it had drop springs on it installed by the original owner. The seller was unsure of the brand, but it was obvious that the car was sitting lower...

Went last night and pulled the sticker off the rear spring...come to find out, to my surprise, it's a stock spring.

My question to you guys is has anyone ever heard of someone cutting or torching the springs on an F-body? I've done quite a bit of reading since joining the board, and have never seen this done. Seen it on a few other makes and models, but never an F-body.

Anybody ever come across this? Any advice you can give?

If they're cut, I'm not in too terrible shape, but if they've been torched, I'm hosed.

Car measures 27" from the ground to the top inside lip of the rear fender. Fronts measure out at 26". It's pretty darn low right now.

Appreciate it in advance...
Marv
Old 03-21-2006, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

Wow. My personal opinion is that cutting springs isn't a good idea, and anybody caught torching them should be burned at the stake.

Unless you are in love with the lowered look, I'd recommend you get stock springs back on. You can buy a set of take offs for around $10 a spring, maybe less. If you like the car lowered, go with aftermarket springs.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cutting the stock springs is pretty common. Did mine that way. Car handles much better and the cost was a little time. Nothing to worry about. If they were cut with a torch, you'd see the affects of the heat around the cut.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help and info. I have yet to get the car up in the air and see what has been done, but plan to today. If they're cut, I'm not going to worry about it too much. But if they're torched, I'll have to replace them pretty quick with something.

If anyone else wants to chime in, feel free.

Thanks.