Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need help explain slotted/drilled rotors...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LS1tech.com covers every inch of America!
I didn't think there were any knowledgable fbody enthusiasts in my neighborhood.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:08 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Which happens to a lot of cars.... Very common on the LS1 in particular. My point a quality blank wouldn't have broken. Warped? Yes, but not broken.
Im not trying to discredit your point (I agree with you against drilled/slotted rotors). I was just pointing out extrainuous circumstances.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:03 PM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just saw the brakes on a CarreraGT and Turbo911. Both are drilled. I guess it's not that big of a deal since those are pretty top notch performing cars. And I doubt the guys who designed those cars are idiots.

CarreraGT rotor
Old 05-24-2006, 12:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

this is why i love this damn site. you guys just saved me like 100$ on buying drilled and slotted rotors for my car. HPS pads and stockers it is.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dom
I just saw the brakes on a CarreraGT and Turbo911. Both are drilled. I guess it's not that big of a deal since those are pretty top notch performing cars. And I doubt the guys who designed those cars are idiots.

CarreraGT rotor
This comes up all the time. You're not the first person to make this arguement, trust me.

Porsche buyers are often Dr's, Lawyers, etc. Many (but not all of them) don't know much about cars except that they want an expensive/nice one. Drilled rotors are on those cars for the same reason that they are used by many on this board. "Race cars use drilled rotors" (or so everyone thinks). Well, race cars used (past tense) drilled rotors, they typically don't anymore. With that said, Porsche rotors are very heavily constructed and are probably the best drilled rotors you can get (if you insist on getting any at all). They still crack around the holes, but not nearly as bad as most of the cheap rotors that they are selling to the f-body community. The Porsche stuff still works well because it's very well built. Still not ideal (they still crack), but it's what the customer wants, so the customer gets it.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:26 AM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

So they do it because of the buyers? That sounds weird since a car is worth half a mil, you'd think they want it not to hit anything.

What I would like to see one day is some back to back test of a car stopping with and without holes/slots.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:53 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Really, I give up.....

First off, the pictures you posted of the Porsche are of a car with carbon/ceramic brakes..... which is an almost $9000 option. Still, the holes are there in the "normal" brakes from them. Of course they aren't there on their race car brakes.

You are so comparing apples and oranges, and you need to stop. The difference between an OEM sized and built rotor on our car and on those cars is about as large as possible. Both the Porsche's and Ferrari's have a much larger rear weight distribution, which means the front brakes aren't worked relatively as hard. The setup is an integrated design. They don't take normal rotors and then drill them, which is what happens with the rotors you are going to buy for yours.

Unsprung weight is a big deal, and you try and save that anywhere you can. If you have plenty of brake area, you can try and lighten the unsprung mass by drilling. But we don't have excess brake like they do.

As for a back to back comparison. It's simply physics. You have the same pads, rotors, wheels, tires, etc. And you replace the rotors with ones that are devoid of swept area, you lose friction surface. Just like tires. Racing slicks are SLICK to put the most rubber down on the ground because that's what makes the best grip. Rotor holes are just like grooves on a tire, they are less area to touch the brake pads.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 05-24-2006, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

Now, wheres my soapbox?
Old 05-24-2006, 12:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by kingcuda70
Now, wheres my soapbox?

Old 05-24-2006, 01:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still think that if a drilled and slotted brake rotor works better at reducing heat and yet gives adequate friction, then a drilled and slotted flywheel would work just as well.

Who makes one of them? MB? Porsche? Ferrari? Or have they just not thought of it yet?

Maybe I should patent the idea.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Maybe I should patent the idea.

You better get on it!

Old 05-24-2006, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dom
So they do it because of the buyers? That sounds weird since a car is worth half a mil, you'd think they want it not to hit anything.

What I would like to see one day is some back to back test of a car stopping with and without holes/slots.
http://www.wreckedexotics.com/

In all due respect, you should look at much more of the facts and seriously question much of the marketing hype. Sam, trackbird, mitchntx, and others (not going involve more names unless they too chime in) have lots of AX and RR experience. And yes, I too have performed tests comparing blanks vs. the rotor face patterns in identical brake systems (both OE and my big brake kit) and the same results have occured and on my big brake kit, no money is saved upfront by opting for a plain rotor. Rotor face patterns are just not needed for modern day street vehicles.

By looking at the website above, NO amount of money will buy your way completely out of physics (or even chemistry or biology). Even experienced and well skilled drivers with some of the most effective technology wreck as well, and in saying that, they don't desire the vehicle to be wrecked, but even so, many manufacturers invest lots of R&D (hopefully) to be prepared for accidents. The fact of the matter is when you compare exotic performance vehicles vs. their race counterparts (where it applies), you'll see that race vehicles involved much more of the proven effective factors with brake design (which can affect wheel diameter) that make more sense with concerns to physicists and race car drivers rather than the wealthy (sometimes appearing as wealthy), misinformed consumer. Also, it was not long ago that someone who worked with Brembo on cor__ carv___ has chimed in to debunk the rumour that the drillings on porsche rotors were "casted-in", or even for the matter of fact, functional at all. The sticky at the top of the thread states the situation of rotor options quite accurately.

Also, if you look at a Mercedes SLR, it's brakes (front or rear) don't have any of the rotor face patterns.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:52 PM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

I like how all the drilled/slotted threads explode with all the experts, but when I made a thread about a good blank, no responses.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/506137-need-zinc-coated-rotors.html
Old 05-24-2006, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

BINGO! we have a winner!

Searches and sticky's are very useful resources.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:11 PM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Searches and sticky's also cover drilled/slotted rotors yet the experts love voicing their opinion whenver one of those threads come up. I mean there is some great detail about how bad those are, but every drilled/slotter rotor thread just explodes.

I don't see any mention of a zinc coated blank after reading the FAQs. I do a search on "zinc blank" and I get 0 results. hmmm
Old 05-24-2006, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

because they're unecessary, with the exception for looks.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dom
I do a search on "zinc blank" and I get 0 results. hmmm
Not to seem inflammatory, but if one is not persistent with their searches, I can only imagine what happens if they attend college, or face problems with engineering and/or business solutions.

Basically when one does searches around here, they must try a myriad of terms and use the search function exhaustively (e.g. zinc, zinc coatings, "what's the benefit of zinc coatings", etc.) in order to get some sort of objective results. Yes, there were and are several undiscussed subject, but this whole brake rotor subject has really been exhuasted.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

thank you! And now a werd about the effects of solar wind on stopping distance..

Old 05-25-2006, 07:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dom
I like how all the drilled/slotted threads explode with all the experts, but when I made a thread about a good blank, no responses.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=506137
Consider for a moment that none of the "experts" have used zinc, but those same "experts" have used drilled and slotted rotors.

Most people won't post in threads they have no knowledge of the subject matter.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Most people shouldn't post in threads they have no knowledge of the subject matter.
Fixed that for you.....

Quick Reply: Need help explain slotted/drilled rotors...