Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

softer springs??

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 05:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default softer ride??

Hope I don't sound crazy here, but I was wondering if I could get a slightly less harsh ride in my 02 WS6 by using suspension components from a v6 F body. I read on a few posts here that the rear spring rates were the same on the V6 and LS1 models. Any input appreciated.

2002 T/A WS6...Pacesetter LT's, Magnaflow catback, Volant intake, de-screened MAF, Motive 4.10 gears.

Last edited by ws6gomango; 03-29-2006 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:54 PM
Launching!

It is a misconception that these cars (street driven) have a spring problem. Generally folks will go the other way than you want to, and increase spring rates to improve handling. Yes, the V6 rear springs are the same. The fronts are softer due to the fact they have to carry less weight. I would imagine that your complaint is not due to the springs.... Your shocks are the single biggest culprit for a harsh ride, sloppy roll rates and excessive brake dive. These cars came with probably the worst valved dampers on any car. Replacing your DeCarbons with a good damper while keeping your stock springs will do wonders for ride quality as well as vastly improving handling.

Scott.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by May Spin
It is a misconception that these cars (street driven) have a spring problem. Generally folks will go the other way than you want to, and increase spring rates to improve handling. Yes, the V6 rear springs are the same. The fronts are softer due to the fact they have to carry less weight. I would imagine that your complaint is not due to the springs.... Your shocks are the single biggest culprit for a harsh ride, sloppy roll rates and excessive brake dive. These cars came with probably the worst valved dampers on any car. Replacing your DeCarbons with a good damper while keeping your stock springs will do wonders for ride quality as well as vastly improving handling.

Scott.
Bravo. Well done.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:00 PM
On The Tree

I second that...........
Old 03-30-2006, 04:05 PM
Staging Lane

how much benefit would switching to aftermarket springs yield while changing the dampers?
Old 03-30-2006, 04:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Ditto. Car - decarbons + konis = happy
Old 03-31-2006, 04:59 PM
Teching In

Default springs

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll go out tomorrow and see what shock options I have..... Probably should've never test driven a Corvette
Old 04-01-2006, 09:02 AM
On The Tree

spend the extra money and buy the Koni's.............you will not be disappointed.