Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

HELP!!! My car feels unsafe.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 08:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Then I'll look at replacing them in the next month. Hopefully that fixes it.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't know if it will solve your problem completely, but it will definately help.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

i think you should slow down homie...if you drive on the same road everyday you should know where the bumps and pot holes are right?? so when you approach them slow down and speed up when its safe????

i have a road coming from my work that has numerous pot holes and sinkage and i know exactly where each one is cuz i have drove that road so many times....at first i did what u did and almost killed myself but now i avoid those situations....
Old 04-04-2006, 11:52 PM
On The Tree

My car does the same damn thing! Some days worse than others on the same frikin road. It could be a lot of differnt things, more than likely just some worn parts and such.................
Old 04-04-2006, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is you steering linkage leaking or mussed up???

115k dead shocks, wide tires following cracks yeah sound normal with over 100k on stock decarbons. I never had trouble staying in my lane though. I did have TERRRIBLE oversteer when I had on new rear shocks and the factory dead ones up front. To to point of being dangerous at higher speeds (65mph).

Yeah it costs a lot to do the front shocks, especially when the shock is stuck in the cup and you have to buy everything knew after the shop guys break your crap.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I plan on going through the enitre front susp this summer. My pops has a shop so labor is me getting my **** on the rack and ordering parts. Lemme know if I'm missing something here.

Front wheel bearings
Shocks/struts
bushings
ball joints upper/lower
check all steering linkages
Old 04-05-2006, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

don't forget to check the rear also, i was watching some car show where they were driving a late 60's vette and they mentioned the rear sway bar etc would cause some "wandering and dartiness". the principal could be the same in our case.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good luck on that repair. Having a shop REALLY helps.

Watch for those cheapy aluminum nuts with the plasticky part that keeps it from coming off. We had to saw them off because when I had stuff worked on that is what they used. The shop techs over-torqued and stripped every single nut on the front end.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

I had the same problem...

Check your strut mounts dude!! They are the rubber boots at the top of your springs. If they go bad, the only thing keeping you off the ground are your springs... and your struts arent doing jack.

I just changed mine, when I was swapping in a set of Konis, I got distracted and loosened up the bottom bolts connecting the strut to the lower control arm, instead of doing the upper first. The spring/strut combo fell out, doh!!! I thought about it. What would have happened if those bolts holding the spring and strut in broke while driving down the road. I checked the otherside, same thing happened.

While you are at it, put new shocks/struts in, maybe springs if you ahve the dough. Those who say spending big money on shocks is stupid, have never done it. Im telling you, you wont go back. For me it was a new cam, or shocks/struts/springs.... and im VERY happy with my choice.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Usually when the shoks are bad doesn't the car bounce for a while after every bump? I don't bounce at all, it's like I have steel rods instead of shocks.