Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Top front strut nut siezed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 03:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Top front strut nut siezed?

Has this ever happened to anyone before. I have a 2000 SS, M6 Hardtop, a couple of weeks ago i brought it to a friends to finally put in my DMS springs and konis. The drivers side took a little while since its the first time we did it and we assumed the passenger side would be faster. We took off the passenger side and for some reason the top on the nut was rusted, i just figured i would PB blast it and it would come off. After letting the blaster soak in i tried to get it off and the nut and threaded shaft portion of the strut broke off. The entire shaft had somehow rusted into the sleeve/bushing on the top peice of the strut assembly. We had the spring compressed and beat the hell out of the top mount with a hammer with no luck. I didnt want to leave the car like it was till i could find a new mount because it was in a friends garage. So we did the only thing we could think of, compressed the spring more to be sure no outward pressure would be on it and cut the strut piston rod with a sawzall.... After we finally cut through it and didnt die we then had to pull the metal sleeve out of the mount and drill the portion of strut piston out of it and finally put it all back together and get it into the car. I am just amazed that it took that much work, and i dont really understand how that part of the car could have rusted. I dont see any way for water to get in there, and the drivers side was clean as new. Anyone ever have a problem like this?
Old 03-30-2006, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeap..same thing on my friends 94 formula, we had to cut through the piston or rod..whatever you want to call it on the shock.

can you get pictures of your car up, i really really want to see koni's and dms, i plan on doing it very soon.
THANKS
Old 03-30-2006, 06:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh yes. I am all too familiar with the rusted upper strut nut. My friend and I took on the Hotchkis/Konis swap and both of my top bolts were rusted. I could see the outline of where water sits in the upper strut mount. There was no real way to get a cutting wheel in there to cut the nut off without shredding the mount so we took a chisel and hammered the crap out of the nuts til they broke off. The job itself was pretty easy, but those damn nuts took an extra two hours even after were tortured them with PB Blaster. Unfortunately, this is pretty typical from what I have seen around the board because these are most peoples daily drivers.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

When i changed mine i put them back with marine axle grease on the threads and globbed the nuts. It seems to help fight the rusting.
Hawk
Old 03-30-2006, 11:46 PM
Staging Lane

Yea...it was not fun, didnt expect it, and yea, i will try to get pics for you 1999Z28, im up at school right now but will be home in a week and a half to put the car back on the road....It was amazing driving it back home, couldnt do much as it wanst exactly registered or insured, but i could take turns comfortably in the rain at higher speeds then i felt comfortable with on dry graound stock. I definatly am happy with my choice to go with the Koni's, i also did a spohn adjustable P/R but i will try and remember to get pics for you if you dont mind waiting a little while
Old 03-31-2006, 07:25 AM
Teching In

Both my upper strut nuts were rusted. I had to use a hacksaw to cut the damper rods on each of them. 3 hour job turned into 6-8 hours...
Old 03-31-2006, 09:30 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve98TransAm
Both my upper strut nuts were rusted. I had to use a hacksaw to cut the damper rods on each of them. 3 hour job turned into 6-8 hours...
Same thing happend to me . I bought a sawzall after that experience.