Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Is strut tower brace worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 04:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even in the case of a drag race machine pulling it's front wheels 3' off the ground during a 1.3 sec. 60' a STB is not the best solution. What you really want is a fully tied into the front towers cage (especially on a 9 sec. car where you are mandated to have one anyway if you want more than one pass at that track). This will also really prevent damage from the "lift, twist, and crash down" of those sick 60 foots (as well as helping weight transfer).
Old 04-05-2006, 06:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'll tell you my opinion based on three f-bodies with the STB. On my 99 Z28 and current 02 Z28 theBMR STB made a significant difference especially the fact I'm running 17x10's up front. On my wife's 99T/A it made a bit of a difference but not that much running 255's on OEM 16x8 wheels. It did reduce a bit of cowl shake with the vert. though.
Click on my 99 Z28 link below to see how it helps structural integrity when in an accident!
Old 04-06-2006, 09:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is "cowl shake"?
Old 04-06-2006, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I like my STB it is yellow and looks kool. I dont think it does any thing.

Foxxton
Not so long ago there was a big thread on SFC. I still think they do something. Do you have any data on SFC. I would love to see it. If not could u get it?
Old 04-06-2006, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Look at the other threads that I have participated in. I cannot supply numbers immediately. I must wait until my friend completely finishes his project, otherwise I'll spoil it. I also am still filming and performing my sort of "independent" AX that I promised. They do in fact help with jacking the cars up, but if you think your "butt-o-metre" is accurate AFA what you "feel", then you've been bit by the placebo effect.

You're setup is almost elaborate as mine, so you'd have to perform the SFC removal test yourself and use someone else to do without your knowledge in order to determine what you're experiencing. This routine is part of what I am doing for what I promised in the other thread. I wonder if this chassis was really that sloppy, would GM even dare to release the 1LE without SFC? Maybe because it was for showroom stock competition? Maybe GMPP released some SFC's without my knowledge? I figure these are some good questions to ask, regardless of GM being correct or incorrect with their engineering decisions.

This is a contentious issue nevertheless, however I think it's much more responsible to have thuroughly examine each individual case before posting as opposed to "blindly suggesting" to install them because of placebo effects. Strain guages and proper telemetry is much more accurate and much more precise than a mere "feel."

What I'm doing isn't any different than what many nutritional scientists are doing AFA testing the efficacy of nutritional supplements with the exception that I (and my colleague) am targeting the efficacy and usefulness of SFC's on a 4th Gen F-body. Yes, user testimonies are vital, but not conclusive on their own, far from it.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Foxxton
I was not bit but the butt o meter. I just thought SFC looked right. I would love to see the data. I know in drag cars it will help in some chassises. I thought it would help in a 4th Gen F-body. I would like to see an update when you can.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't read the whole thread, but first, our cars DO NOT HAVE STRUTS.

Next, if there was any flex in the front end, it would be in such a manner as to gain negative camber on the loaded wheel, which is a good thing.

Finally, I have had two well known racers and speed shop owners, both of which sell STB, tell me that they do not help on a fourthgen.

CN: STB bad. Use the money to buy a light battery and win twice.

EDIT: I run 17x11's on all four corners, with 315/35/17. 48, yes forty eight R compound tires have been worn out on my car in <44K miles, so it has been "driven" so to speak. Never had a shock tower brace on it, and probably never will.

Old 04-06-2006, 01:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

This topic has been beat to death in the last couple of weeks, please do a search on the topic, the information you want is out there.

Quick Reply: Is strut tower brace worth it?