Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Coating Rotors???

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 08:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Coating Rotors???

I order a set of front and rear D&S rotors and when I received them. I noticed that they were not coated. Can you have them powered coated? I wanted them Zinc Cadium coated but there is no one around me that can do it. Any help would be graeatly appreciated.
Thanks and God Bless Our Troops and the U.S., John Junins
Old 04-03-2006, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In all honesty, you could powder coat the centre non-friction area of the rotors, but why spend the money? If you want to look cool I guess it's okay, but for performance purposes they do nothing. Cadmium plating of course gets buffed off from the friction area, however I have seen no benefits from the ventilation areas as far as cooling goes. After a great amount of pounding, the rotors too will need replacing, and much sooner if you have drills and/or slots.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:37 AM
TECH Regular

Also, I think powdercoating would melt off at temps above 500 degrees. Does anyone know how hot rotors get under extreme braking conditions?
Old 04-04-2006, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Depends on what application is present. For extreme street driving on normal pads, the MOT might be around 600-700 degree farenheight, but I sure know that in club racing apps with agressive club racing pads, the MOT is around 890-1000 degrees farenheight.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:57 PM
TECH Resident

The company I purchased the rotors from did not recommend the coating. They said it makes the pads squeal and also ruin the pads. And I should just buy some hi temp paint and paint the areas not in contact with the pads only.
Does this sound correct?Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it.
Thanks again and God Bless Our Troops and the U.S.,
John Junkins
Old 04-04-2006, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

FYI, my rear rotors did come with some sort of paint over the central hat area and in the ventilation area, but again, mostly cosmetic. I have taken tempratures in the ventilation areas of both paint protected areas with my current set of rear rotors and rusted unprotected areas with the ones that didn't have any. No differences whatsoever. The rust from my previous rear rotors didn't do any type of fouling to any other components around it. I also did this when I had two sets of brembo OE replacement blanks for the fronts, and no differences in performance either.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:32 PM
TECH Resident

I think I'm just going to Hi Temp paint the hat section the bevel drilled area/slotted area and the vent area around the rotor. Just for cosmetics. And let it go.
Foxxton, THANKS!!!! for the info. I really appreciate it.
Any sugesstions on what kind of pads to use. Mainly street use to and from car shows.
John Junkins
Old 04-04-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

AFA brake pads, that's kind of a broad request, but from my experience with the stock brake system, Hawk HP's yielded some of the best performance with the least amount of dust. What I use now with my BBK and OE rears perform quite well for cheap, however they dust like crazy, which doesn't bother me since my street wheels are powder coated and the dust practically washes away with mild soapy water and a cheap shop rag.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:54 AM
TECH Regular

Hi temp paint is a good way to go. As you know you don't want to paint any area the pads cover. I would suggest a hi temp silver like this:
http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/p...iProductID=734

or

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/p...iProductID=109