Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Eibach Sportline with Koni's

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 11:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eibach Sportline with Koni's

I just bought a 99 Camaro Z28 and want to lower the car around 2'' and still have it handle well. I am thinking about using eibach sportlines or DMS springs and SA koni shocks, along with an adjustable panhard rod and lower control arm relocation brackets. Does anybody have any experience with this set up or one similar to it? I had the pro kit on a previous car and although the handling was good, the stance was terrible. I am looking for the best combination of stance and performance.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

First, welcome to the board. Now, your post is one of many other extremely similar questions that have been posted more times than anyone else probably cares to admit, however I'll exercise patience since it's your first post. AFA the Koni SA, I agree with 100%. Many recent posts are quite accurate in dealing with Koni SA's so I'll save that for a search. I did at one point have Koni DA's, but if it was mandatory for me to return to either Koni SA or DA, it would be SA.

If you think that Eibach prokit springs are terrible, you're going to be in for even a worse ride and dramatically worse performance with Sportlines. Perform a search and you'll understand more about that.

AFA 2" lowering and handling well, you're in for one juicy headache because with that request, there is no free lunch. Basically when you lower the vehicle, even with all of the recommended changes, you risk bottoming out on your shock's bumpstops. Basically, you'd have to perform much more than simple retrofits in order to come near the expectations you have stated in your thread. Again, peruse the website for a better explanation, and if you desire, search through a majority of my and other AX and RRer's posts.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:27 PM
Staging Lane

I agree with foxxton Sportlines are terrible, especially with stock shocks. For one they dont have enough rate soon enough, i bottom out all the time. My Sportlines are getting swaped real soon with the Ground Control coil-overs that sam strano sells. Im going with Koni DA, altho i kinda wish i would have gone SA.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

I guess if you really wanted to, you could go with a set of springs that drop you an inch(Hotchkis) and then buy some Konis. Run them on the lower perch in the front and ditch the spring isolators in the rear and do the heater hose mod if you want that additional inch. That way if you don't like it that way, you can go back to 1". I have read that running the lower perch with lowering springs isn't smart though.

Last edited by MTN_Z; 04-04-2006 at 06:20 PM.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:31 AM
TECH Regular

Sportlines with Konis= major headache! Steer clear from those buddie! I have them paired up with the Konis and all I can say is, "wow, this sucks" lol. Go with the ground control kit the Sam Strano sells. Thats what im going to be pickin up very very soon!
Old 04-07-2006, 02:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by MTN_Z
I guess if you really wanted to, you could go with a set of springs that drop you an inch(Hotchkis) and then buy some Konis. Run them on the lower perch in the front and ditch the spring isolators in the rear and do the heater hose mod if you want that additional inch. That way if you don't like it that way, you can go back to 1". I have read that running the lower perch with lowering springs isn't smart though.
I wouldn't do that. I'm not sure Hotchkis springs would fit on the lower perch. I didn't try it when I was putting mine together, but it looks like the springs would be too short for that perch. It's really only meant for stock springs.

iworgan: Maybe you could consider Air Ride Technologies. I don't have any personal experience, but they're getting a lot of positive press right now. I'm thinking they could get you the slammed look you're after, but you might be able to still drive it by increasing the ride height through the airbags. Just an idea.

-Mike

Quick Reply: Eibach Sportline with Koni's