Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

this does not look right at all!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 10:33 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just looked more closely at the 2 pics. The pic of the suspension on the ground shows 7 coils, the pic of it in the air clearly shows the 8th and 9th coils.
There are only 2 coils active at rest. I'm guesstimating that your spring will stack after about 2 inches of wheel travel.

That's probably the wrong spring.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:00 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by trackbird
I'm not so sure about that, but I try to help when I can.

He doesn't have SLP springs. And, some springs do touch (some of the spring) when the car is sitting (like my H&R's). Just because one spring doesnt' do it doesn't mean that others are not designed that way.

You are absolutely right. Noticed I didn't say if his springs should or should not touch.

I think his best bet would be to call the manufacturer and asked them how the springs should behave.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jyeager
I just looked more closely at the 2 pics. The pic of the suspension on the ground shows 7 coils, the pic of it in the air clearly shows the 8th and 9th coils.
There are only 2 coils active at rest. I'm guesstimating that your spring will stack after about 2 inches of wheel travel.
When lowered, most of these cars struggle to get 2" of wheel travel in compression. If he's 2" from fully bottomed out at a lowered ride height, he's not doing bad. A spring with only 2 active coils (assuming the wire diameter is reasonable, and we know it's stock diameter) will be quite stiff. The less active coils you have, the stiffer the spring rate (if wire diameter and spring diameter stay unchanged).

I'm not saying it's perfect since we still don't know who made the springs. I'm just saying that it looks reasonable and functional. It could, be a poor quality aftermarket spring that has too many coils that are too soft for the job and is just running out of room to compress, but I doubt it. Even with all the questionable quality stuff out there these days, I've never seen where this has been a problem. Usually poor ride quality is traced to stiff springs (2 active coils?, probably pretty stiff) and not nearly enough shocks (and possibly a car that's just too low for the spring rate and bottoms out often).

Originally Posted by warp10
You are absolutely right. Noticed I didn't say if his springs should or should not touch.

I think his best bet would be to call the manufacturer and asked them how the springs should behave.
Good point. I just wanted to clarify.

What springs are they, do we actually know?
Old 04-06-2006, 11:50 AM
TECH Addict

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BILST...53522283QQrdZ1

i found the link on ebay...here is EXACTLY what i have...i bought this kit when my pocket size was bigger than my brian..things have changed now, i really would no have gone with this kit...
id rather do it right...

any suggestions now that we know what the kit is
THANKS for all the help!!!

Erik
Old 04-06-2006, 04:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Maybe they are v6 f-body springs? That site ad doesn't specify. Also you can't install the springs upside down on the fronts. They only go on one way so that isn't it.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:23 PM
TECH Addict

yeah i thought about that as well once i really looked at it...
soooo what now...****
im thinkin about selling this and starting over!
what do yall think i shoudl "spring" for, no pun intended!
Old 04-06-2006, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by erikthegoalie
yeah i thought about that as well once i really looked at it...
soooo what now...****
im thinkin about selling this and starting over!
what do yall think i shoudl "spring" for, no pun intended!
All depends on how far you want it to be lowered. Plenty of good springs to go with. You can check the sticky at the top of this forum subject to get an idea of some.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by erikthegoalie
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BILST...53522283QQrdZ1

i found the link on ebay...here is EXACTLY what i have...i bought this kit when my pocket size was bigger than my brian..things have changed now, i really would no have gone with this kit...
id rather do it right...

any suggestions now that we know what the kit is
THANKS for all the help!!!

Erik
Unfortunately, I still don't really know what springs those are. The SLP springs don't lower a car that much. So, if it's the "matched" setup, it would be SLP Bilstiens and it doesn't look to be those. So, I have no real idea what spring kit that is. Sorry, I can't be more help.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:45 PM
11 Second Club

Unfortunately, I still don't really know what springs those are. The SLP springs don't lower a car that much. So, if it's the "matched" setup, it would be SLP Bilstiens and it doesn't look to be those. So, I have no real idea what spring kit that is. Sorry, I can't be more help.

I think trakbird is right. I have never seen blue SLP springs, I believe they all came black for our cars. Mine is SLP matched springs/bilstein and only lowered the car about .5".

As you said, maybe start from scratch and get a good known spring/shock combination that would fit your purpose.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Regular

. I recently installed a set of Hotchkiss springs and the coils that are closer together are at the bottom of the spring (as shown),
Who's car could that be?
Old 04-06-2006, 10:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

those are blistien shocks and springs, it even says it on there. We need a better picture showing the entire spring settled. You just may not be used to the ride.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by casey02ws6
Who's car could that be?
Gee, I don't know, but it looks a lot like the car in your sig.....
Old 04-06-2006, 11:25 PM
TECH Addict

its cool man...
everyone has been great as far as help goes....
ill put it this way....the car handels like a pro, i will admit...its very nice...
however, i just didnt like how hard it hits when i hit a mid sized bump in the road...makes me cringe...
now part II
any suggestions on a better set up if i were to ditch this set up??
i was thinking the QA1 Coil overs in the front because i have LT's on the way, but i like a lowered front end...so i figured id be able to set it JUST right so that they do no scrape on EVERYTHING, mantaingin that lowered look i like...
if i go with those in the front, what do i go with in the rear???
THANKS A MILLION
Old 04-07-2006, 12:10 AM
Staging Lane

I would go for koni sa shocks and some type of lowering spring like DMS, Pro kit or hockis if you want handling. qa1 are more for drag i think. if you search there is tons of differet set up for suspension.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:15 AM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Originally Posted by Roadhouse
Those springs are upside down dude. Someone set me straight if I'm wrong but, those are a progressive type of spring where under normal driving conditions the windings that are furthest apart provide the "good" ride and when the spring is compressed beyond that, the tighter windings increase the spring rate to help the car corner more in a flat manner.
Negative. Read trackbird's response. I've personally (with my own two hands) had four different spring setups under my car. Progressive rate springs are spaced FURTHER APART near the TOP of the spring, and get tighter towards the BOTTOM of the spring so that as the spring compresses the spring rate rises rapidly. Just not enough shock for the spring. Common problem. Should have gotten revalves or Konis.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:49 AM
TECH Addict

ok ive heard A LOT about the Koni's, i guess the single adjustable
what will the Koni's deliver for $450 for two front shocks that I am lacking at this point...i dont know much about shocks and springs...soo just loking for some help!
THANKS
Old 04-08-2006, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just to give you an idea here are what my hotchkis springs look like with the car on the ground.

Pass. Side

These have a slight angle so they look like the spring coils are touching. This is the driver's side.

Old 04-09-2006, 09:59 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

I wouldnt worry about the Konis unless you just want the adjustability. You'd be better off taking the extra money you'd spend on them, pick up some Strano Revalved Bilstein shocks, and some new springs from a reputable company. Always better to know what you're working with.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by josh99ta
Negative. Read trackbird's response. I've personally (with my own two hands) had four different spring setups under my car. Progressive rate springs are spaced FURTHER APART near the TOP of the spring, and get tighter towards the BOTTOM of the spring so that as the spring compresses the spring rate rises rapidly. Just not enough shock for the spring. Common problem. Should have gotten revalves or Konis.
Like I said in my post, "Somebody set me straight if I'm wrong."
Old 04-10-2006, 02:39 PM
Breakfast Fanatic

All that is normal.....