Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

this does not look right at all!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 06:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default this does not look right at all!!

ok, i got Bilstein shocks and matched springs for the front and back of the SS...the ride feels great , and very firm, and the 1.25" drop is nice as well however..

Now for the **** part..

whenever i hit a minor pothole, bump etc, its almost like there is NO shock at all..so i look under and i see what you see in the picture...are those springs supposed to be that compressed?!?!?!? it just doesnt seem right...makes me want to change my set up completely!
what do yall think??
one pic is of the set up with car off the ground and tire off..and other other is tire on, car on the ground

Old 04-05-2006, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yes...it does get pretty compressed when you tighted the nut on the shock down.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

if the second picture is car on the ground and that's how it is sitting...no..something is wrong..there is no space for spring to compress to. Unless the springs are not wound tight up higher,where the pic doesn't show us. COULD B WRONG..need better pic........................mine are not like that..

Last edited by NHRAMAN; 04-05-2006 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

That sucks! So you're really riding on the top half of the spring with very little travel before bottoming the spring. You say they're matched but from what I've read Bilsteins are only meant for stock springs, Koni's are needed to properly dampen the higher rate aftermarket springs.
If the Bilsteins have a lower perch I'd try that with the stock spring and see how that works out.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Holy S that can't be right
Old 04-05-2006, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What type of springs are they?
Old 04-05-2006, 10:33 PM
TECH Regular

is the spring upside down? that is definitly not right.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

definately not right. guessing a mismatch on parts somewhere. don't know if would help, but have you tried fliping the springs up side down, it looks like they are dual rate? just guessing here
Old 04-05-2006, 10:44 PM
TECH Resident

Those springs are upside down dude. Someone set me straight if I'm wrong but, those are a progressive type of spring where under normal driving conditions the windings that are furthest apart provide the "good" ride and when the spring is compressed beyond that, the tighter windings increase the spring rate to help the car corner more in a flat manner.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Roadhouse
Those springs are upside down dude. Someone set me straight if I'm wrong but, those are a progressive type of spring where under normal driving conditions the windings that are furthest apart provide the "good" ride and when the spring is compressed beyond that, the tighter windings increase the spring rate to help the car corner more in a flat manner.

yeah man...i was thinking the same dam thing....they look friggin upside down...****...for everyones info, i DID NOT install the fronts...had them taken to a shop for safety reasons....
screw that....im taking them to a real shop tomorrow...

as far as the kit goes, i bought it on ebay, it was the springs and shocks, they claimed they were matched for each other with a 1.25" drop

I really feel like chaging my entire set up anyway...if i was to completely re-do my suspension, what shoudl i go with...i like a lower front than rear...what do yall think..i was thinking QA1 coil overs for the front, but what about the rear?
Old 04-06-2006, 01:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take it back to the same shop and tell them they fucked up.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I agree the springs were put on upside down. The more compressed part in the first pic should be at the top of the perch, not the bottom.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:42 AM
TECH Addict

yeah....i agree 100%
ill keep everyone posted!
how hard is it for me to change the fronts by myself....is there a write up anywhere??
Thakns
Old 04-06-2006, 07:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

It isnt hard to do it yourself unless you dont air tools,then things can become more difficult. You aregoing to have to remove the whole shock/spring mount together, and have a spring compresser to remove the spring safely.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My H&R's were designed so that part of the spring becomes a "spacer" and only the top of the spring is the only active part of the spring. It looks like the top of the spring should still be "active" (not stacked solid like the bottom) and it's the part that's actually working. The less active coils you have (if the wire diameter stays the same and the overall diameter stays the same), the stiffer the spring gets. So, many springs will have a portion that's solid like that when the car is on the ground.

Also, due to the pigtail design of the front spring, you can't put it on upside down. I recently installed a set of Hotchkiss springs and the coils that are closer together are at the bottom of the spring (as shown), they are not upside down. I suspect you simply have an issue of not enough shock for your springs/ride height. It's tough to screw up a spring install, you can't install them upside down and they either fit or they don't. Get a better picture that shows the rest of the spring on the side that's on the ground to be sure, but I don't think you have anything to worry about (except needing better shocks).

Originally Posted by Roadhouse

The coils that are closer together are the "soft" part of a spring, the coils that are farther apart are the "stiff" part of a spring. You've got it backwards.

Originally Posted by sidewayz28
take it back to the same shop and tell them they fucked up.
No, they didn't. They are installed correctly. Before he runs in there and causes a giant scene over "nothing", everyone needs to relax a bit.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm agreeing with Trackbird you can't install the front springs wrong.
You need to get a better quality shock. With the lowered ride your
asking for the shocks to perform more.
Hawk
Old 04-06-2006, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Always do what trackbird tells u. Sounds like you need better shocks. Maybe a little less drop and a softer(lower rate) spring.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:12 AM
11 Second Club

This is a pics of the SLP springs when the car is off the ground.

When the car is on the ground, the coils don't sit one against the others.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by YellowToy/A
Always do what trackbird tells u.
I'm not so sure about that, but I try to help when I can.

Originally Posted by warp10
This is a pics of the SLP springs when the car is off the ground.

When the car is on the ground, the coils don't sit one against the others.
He doesn't have SLP springs. And, some springs do touch (some of the spring) when the car is sitting (like my H&R's). Just because one spring doesnt' do it doesn't mean that others are not designed that way.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:26 AM
TECH Regular

It really looks to me like the spring is near coil bind and when you hit a very good sized bump you might be stacking the coils which gives you that feeling of no shock.

The rubber bump stop must hit before the coils stack up. It's not possible to be sure from that picture though.