Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni, Koni, Koni

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 12:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koni, Koni, Koni

So, clearly the favorite shock around here. That is the direction I will be taking once I have a little more money. What springs are you guys running with yours and how do you like your setup. Also, could you give some reasons why you went with the spring you chose. Thanks a lot.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Koini is generall the shock of choice because they can handle just about everything you can do to your cars suspension..

if your considering lowering or not they can and will do the job.....there are other options to Koni's..it just depends on how extreme you want to be.....or flexable you need you sysyte mto be....alot of people get along just fine with Bilstiens..about 1/2 the price of the SA Konis....Re-valving Bilstiens are another option for as bit more....but still less $$ than Koini's....You geta better Bilstien and it can be custom valved for how you intend to use the car....But They lack the flexability you'll find in SA/DA Koni's..all have their place and represent a comprimise someplace...

There's a sticky in this section that shows various springs and how they look and the approx drop...If lowering some is what you want to do..

Different springs offer different spring rates which affect how the car will handle..first consider how your going to use the car yourself....

If should bump into Mr Strano he's always ( I dont know how) got time to talk suspension..you might want to pick his brain for ideas..he's also a sponsor...

I went with Re-valved Bilsteins mostly because of budget.....and I like them allot. Ive also lowered my car using G2 springs because I wanted a very firm ride..I dont imageing that they are the end all springs..Just my particular choice....Im more into running in the mountains thru the twists and wanted a suspension that could take quick transitions well

The G2's gave me a ~2" drop at all four corners..as soon as Sam ships them...Ill be running a set of his sway bars as well..the rest of my stuff is in my tag line

Last edited by BitViper; 04-07-2006 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Get ground control springs. You can pick the spring rate and set the ride height. At 360.00 not alot more than any other. They are a little harder to put on.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:37 AM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

I went with Koni SAs because they have adjustable dampening rates on the rebound stroke, and I chose to run stock springs for a nice ride on the streets and a little less spring rate since I do drag race the car here and there. The Konis keep the ride controlled and handling like a dream, the stock springs let weight transfer at the track with the shocks on full soft and also give me a comfortable ride on the streets. Still plan on getting a set of bigger sway bars to improve the handling even further. With the Konis and sway bars the suspension is more than adequate for spirited street driving. I dont autocross the car and I dont like kidney-jarring rides so I'm VERY happy with the setup.

Old 04-07-2006, 11:22 AM
TECH Regular

Whatever you do steer clear of the eibach sportlines. The previous owner of my car put them on and left the stock suspension, bad move. So I just recently invested in Koni SA's. And yes, Sam Strano hooked it up big time! He knows what hes talkin about. But, one thing I was told is that the Koni's can handle the sportlines but the ride is not as great as with other springs. Im thinkin about dumpin the Eibach sportlines and maybee throwin on the ground controls.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:41 AM
Jax
Staging Lane

I got Koni SA's too, with stock springs, and both Sam Strano's front and rear sways. I have been very happy with the setup so far.

josh
Old 04-07-2006, 01:08 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Koni SA and G2 SS. The combo works very well.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Urban....how firm is your ride with teh SA's...Ive been playing with changing over when Ive completed all my other stuff..what kind of setting are your using
Old 04-07-2006, 02:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Hotchkis springs with Koni SA's.

I chose the springs because *TO ME* the ride height is perfect. It's not so slammed that it looks like I should have my last name in gothic letters across the back window (HERNANDEZ), but is definitely lower than stock. I was running them with KYB GasAJusts and the ride was...well...have you ever been on a small fishing boat during high tide?

I love my setup now. I feel large bumps ONCE, smaller bumps only at the tires. Turns are very predictable (I'm running slightly larger sway bars) and it's a night and day difference from stock and from the KYB shocks. They were very worth it to me. It made me fall in love with driving the car all over again.

-Mike
Old 04-07-2006, 05:56 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BitViper
Hey Urban....how firm is your ride with teh SA's...Ive been playing with changing over when Ive completed all my other stuff..what kind of setting are your using

In the back I had the SA's set at full max and it was too stiff. So I backed up half a turn from full firm. The fronts I am still playing with. Started super soft and the ride was super bouncy. Went up on firmness and I am slowly getting there. Next up is half more turn of firmness. Not sure what my total turn count is up front.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:13 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Koni SA's with GC kit and ERS springs, 700 lb/in front, 175 lb/in rear. Konis set on min for the street, 90% front 20% rear for autoX.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Koni SA's with Ground Control coil overs, 500lb/150lb. The rest of my susp. mods are in my sig.