Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How low should I go for stock 16 inch wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 09:30 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How low should I go for stock 16 inch wheels?

I want to drop my car. I don't want to go radical and slam it to the ground, but I wanna close up the gap between the fender and wheel. I cannot afford new rims at the moment, but when I do get new rims, just gonna be some 17's, so no huge wheels to worry about latter down the road.. I also cannot be scraping over ever speed bump.. How much of a drop am I gonna get out of the rear by just taking out the isolators, and what exactly are they lol?
Old 05-01-2006, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smart thinking so far, very smart. Now those isolators are the big rubber "donuts" at the top of the rear springs. You can remove them by performing the usual process to remove the rear springs (raising the car off the ground and letting the rear axle hang until the springs can be pulled loose, safely I remind you).

When the rear springs are removed, you can then pull the isolators right off, purchase some quality 5/8" I.D. rubber hose, cut to length so they can be installed over the very top coil winding on each spring, install over the top winding, then replace. you should yield an approximately 1/2" to 3/4" drop in the rear. This is usually done in accordance with front Koni SA's, which have a lower spring mount ring on the body which will lower the front as well, otherwise you must opt for a front lowering spring (which I really don't advise).

FWIW, I think that at least the OE rear springs are pretty adequate for all around performance, it's just that their ride height is less than desirable and that's why I suggest the "rear hose mod" before throwing lot's of money down for lowering springs.

EDIT: Once you upgrade to 17" rims, the look will really "come alive", even though I am less of an appearance modifier.

Last edited by Foxxtron; 05-02-2006 at 02:41 AM.

Quick Reply: How low should I go for stock 16 inch wheels?