Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
View Poll Results: BMR Trac pac OR UMI tunnel mount TQ arm
BMR Trac pac
34.62%
UMI tunnel mount TQ arm
46.15%
Other (please indicate which one and why)
19.23%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

The day has come (UMI Vs Trac pack)

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 05:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default The day has come (UMI Vs Trac pack)

I was suppose to get these used but I'm sick of buying and selling used from idiots on the net. Anyways Ive decided to go new. I'm having a hard time deciding between the BMR trac pack and the UMI tunnel brace TQ arm. Both seem like high quality and both have great CS so now I'm having the hardest time choosing between the 2. There is a price diff of 30 bucks I believe aswell. Which do you guys prefer and why? Thanks
Old 05-03-2006, 05:55 PM

Get the UMI. I have seen some posts about the BMR TQ arm breaking. BMR also does not reccomend their TQ arm for a DD.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

The U.M.I. is a very nice piece. Definitly gets my vote.
Hawk
Old 05-04-2006, 11:51 AM
12 Second Club

If U.M.I. was around when I got my Random Tech, it would be on my car now! (Not that the RT is a bad piece, just that the UMI looks bombproof. )
Old 05-07-2006, 11:19 PM
TECH Resident

I voted UMI, here's why:

Before making my purchase, all I ever read about was how tunnel mounted TAs hang low and bang the floor on accel/decel, and vibrate the hell out of your center console.

There wasn't much feedback on the UMI unit, but what little info there was seemed to say it was a quality piece that corrected many of the annoyances common with tunnel mounted TAs.

My experience:

1. The TA has only banged the floor 2 or 3 times since I've had it on.

2. My TA doesn't hang low at all. I've got Kooks headers, so the tunnel brace doesn't have a 'hump' built in to the clear the y-pipe.

3. Vibrations are only evident at around 2400 rpms before my converter locks up. Once locked up in 3rd gear, the vibrations disappear (I also have a poly trans mount, this may account for some vibration). In OD, during normal, relaxed driving, it is VERY RARE for there to be any noticeable vibrations at all.

While I don't have any experience with the BMR piece, I can tell you that UMI has produced and excellent product at an exceptional price.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spohn! Everyone I know around here with 10/11 second F bods use this piece exclusively.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have the Spohn as well, I got the one with the extra clearance for headers...I also sprung for the longer bolts for the rear end, many people just use the stock bolts which are too short to be safe.

My car is not lowered, but I did hit the cross member on a number of occasions. One was a drain cover on a road that was being resurfaced....wow...that one made me nervous...but nothing happened to the crossmember save for some powdercoating that's now no longer there....I also scraped it once on some nasty bump in the road...that made a huge bang and my buddy felt the jolt to the extend that he suspected ejection seats in my car.... kinda like Kitt in Knight Rider. But again....that's one strong piece down there, nothing moved, bend....nothing. Once I get my brakes on this or next weekend, we'll check over all the bolts and I'll take some pics of the damage.

As far as extra noises go....if you don't shift smooth, it'll clunk a little, there's a bit more road noise, but you get used to all that and before you know it, you won't notice it anymore. Besides, my car has headers, is cammed and I have a cutout....those little noises are just all part of the fun.

Here's a ground clearance picture...again, my car is stock on ZR1 wheels.

Manny
Old 05-29-2006, 11:52 AM
TECH Regular

Wink

I just recived my P/H rod,LCAs,3 Point SFCs and strut tower brace from UMI and I have got to say that I haven't got them on the car yet but they sure look nice.I bought the bits in black because my car is black I cant wait to get them installed so if the TQ arm looks as good as these it must look gooood. I am going to buy UMI TQ arm after my headers and alumimum drive shaft are fitted.

Last edited by Z28XTC; 05-29-2006 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:25 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28XTC
I just recived my P/H rod,LCAs,3 Point SFCs and strut tower brace from UMI and I have got to say that I haven't got them on the car yet but they sure look nice.I bought the bits in black because my car is black I cant wait to get them installed so if the TQ arm looks as good as these it must look gooood. I am going to buy UMI TQ arm after my headers and alumimum drive shaft are fitted.

Andrew, That is great to hear you received everything! That was quite a hike the items took from Pennsylvania US to Japan so its good to hear they arrived in good condition. When ever you are ready for that torque arm just let me know

Ryan
Old 05-29-2006, 08:51 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for sorting that out Ryan and I will have one of those K members when they are ready.I am looking forward to shaving the 30 pounds or so off the front of my car with that one.

Quick Reply: The day has come (UMI Vs Trac pack)