Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How well does the 00-02 F-Body handle compared to C5 vette?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 11:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragframe
dood.. a Cobalt SS/Supercharged makes then f-body look like a boat... let alone comparing it to a vette...
No thanks....

The only reason I will have 15K is because I am selling the 67 Camaro.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Andros
The Vette handles alot better and has a better potential for handling cuz of its IRS. The Fbods Solid Axle doesnt compete with the Vettes IRS. Look at the skid pads for both and its a big gap, the Vette gets better g's than the fbod.
I agree... and I currently own 1 of each...a '96 Z-28 and an '01 C-5 coupe.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:40 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 139 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Koncrete
I believe Sam Strano said he got his f-body to 1.23.... I could be making this up though as I couldn't find the post...
It will. But bear in mind that's on some not small R-compound tires (DOT legal, but barely). You slap a set of those on a bone stock car, and it'll be able to pull 1g. But that's not at all a good measure of handling. Stock they pull .9 or so, and actually drive like crap. It's about control more than outright grip. You can't use grip if you can't control the car getting there. And the control sucks now, it only gets worse if you add more stick first.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 05-10-2006, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by keliente
No it's really the same thing. Even going from a Z28 to an SS it's still a boat.

The f-body is very far away from a C5's handling, imo. I thought my car handled okay until we brought home a C5 Z06. That car is amazing, it feels like it is stuck to the road. On a corner or on ramp, it feels like you will fly out the window before the car would break loose. Even going down the road straight and moving the wheel back and forth, it stays so even and tight the whole time. Do that in an f-body and you feel quite a bit of body roll.

dood. i have like zero body roll.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Bone stock, the C5 is better. But a properly modded F-car will be better than a stock C5, and pretty much a match with a Z06.

I won't argue that a Vette is a "better" platform than an f-car is. But it's relative, and an old solid axle can do some amazing things with the right thinking and parts.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
It will. But bear in mind that's on some not small R-compound tires (DOT legal, but barely). You slap a set of those on a bone stock car, and it'll be able to pull 1g. But that's not at all a good measure of handling. Stock they pull .9 or so, and actually drive like crap. It's about control more than outright grip. You can't use grip if you can't control the car getting there. And the control sucks now, it only gets worse if you add more stick first.

I know (well not the exact tires), I was just pointing it out that a F-Body can compete with a vette...

stock vs. stock (down to the tires) vette>f-body (although to be fair vette>most cars stock for stock)

modded..... $$$ talks and for the cost of a base c5 or c6 you can have one hell of a F-Body that will cream the base c5 or c6 or even the Z06....

it all boils down to what style you want and the cash you want to throw at it... you want a f-body then buy it and mod it, you want a vette, buy it for a lot more money (3-4 times and fbody) and mod it....
Old 05-11-2006, 04:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 01 LS1 F body and my father has a 99 FRC Vette. My car has had most of the suspension replaced with the latest and great parts and the Vette is stock other than tires, cat back exhaust and brake pads. I have had both cars over 150mph and I have wrung both of them out on local twisty mountain roads. The C5 is in a whole different leauge than the F body. The active handling is an incredible feature and i have activated it numerous times. Hands down, driving my fathers car has made me deciede to get my own C5. Like another member above put it, the F bodies do not handle bad at all, they're a great platform and have a lot of potential. The C5, especially the Z06, is just that much better. I have no intention of getting rid of my Camaro, but I am getting a Vette.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:50 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Active handling.... yeck.

I want to drive my car, not have the car drive when I get over my head. Competition mode is better, but no match for an experienced driver, though Active handling and competition mode is good for newbies who might otherwise hurt themselves.

The one thing I'm wondering is what the "latest and great" parts are. Because more often than not, the parts aren't the greatest. Most of time they are horrible for actual handling and stability. GREAT shocks (and by that I don't mean HAL's or KYB's) are a huge key, as is not running a huge rear sway bar.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zger
My car has had most of the suspension replaced with the latest and great parts
WTF does this mean?

Can you even remotely explain what handling characteristic you were trying to tune out with replacing all these parts?

And "wrung out on twisty mountain roads" means NOTHING!

Only data that is collected somewhere other than your *** is useful data.

Give me lap times, time pressures and tire temps and I can tell you which SINGLE component to change.

Throwing a bunch of **** at a car makes it ... a pile of ****.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Andros
The Vette handles alot better and has a better potential for handling cuz of its IRS. The Fbods Solid Axle doesnt compete with the Vettes IRS. Look at the skid pads for both and its a big gap, the Vette gets better g's than the fbod.
....Maybe its because of the Y-bodies lower CG, its designed ride height, better scrub and superior weight distribution. Its not all about the Y-bodies IRS....... there are many more factors that make it better to the vererable F. Eventhough, the IRS does help it a little..... but not by as much as most would think. Soild axle (aka Hotchkis solid axle type) if set up correctly will do all the wonders that a production IRS will.

Last edited by chicane; 05-12-2006 at 12:50 AM.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

I believe a LOT of people confuse ease of driving with handling. Many cars, especially the AWD ones are easier to drive with much less room for error. Doesn't mean they handle better.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mitchntx
I race a '96 firebird in Camaro/Mustang challenge Series and i instruct for Texas Driving Experience which uses C5 Z06s as their track cars.

Showroom stock vs showroom stock, the C5 will kick the F-car's ***.

BUT ....

if one spends but 1/3 of the difference in cost between the 2 cars, the F-car can and will hang with a stock Z06
Do you really think that the C5 will kick a SLP (bilsteins, sway bars, springs) SS's ***?
Old 05-12-2006, 12:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tunerdude
Hey alls. New here. I own a 67 Camaro, so I am not new to F-Bodies. I am in the market for a C5 vette. But, when thinking about it, I wondered how the 00-02 F-bodies handled compared to them. I mean, I am looking at WS6s, and I can get one for around 10k cheaper then a C5. Then mod it with the remaining money. This car will be setup for aggressive street handling, hopefully. I live in socal, and weekly visit the santa monica mountains, and big bear area. So I am mostly interested in how the car performs handling wise.

Considering the fact that I am only 21, funds are an issue. Any help would be great.

P.s, these are questions I couldnt find searching, so if this subjet has already been beaten to death, then please send me the link.
They can be made to handle just as good, if not better. I used to out handle C5's with my WS6, AFTER I put sway bars, STB, PHR, LCAs on the TA. Although, I put sway bars and dropped my C5, and it handled WAY better than my buddies Z06. With a little tweaking, any good platform could be made to out handle the next.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:24 PM
TECH Regular

You can get close but it will never be the same as a vette. I was beating C5's track time with my set up in my Z28 but i had a lot of stuff done. If you are talking about auto x, don't forget tires. They will make or brake you. I had just about everything done to my Z and i was beating stock suspension C5's. I though my Z handled good untill i got into my Z06. Not even close now.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mike#9
Do you really think that the C5 will kick a SLP (bilsteins, sway bars, springs) SS's ***?
I dunno ...

My CMC prepped '96 Firebird LT1 with a 37mm restrictor plate, Bilstien coil-overs, UMI LCAs and PHB and 16" Toyos hung with a C5 on Hoosiers and LG long tubes. The driver of the C5 was last year's NASA Time Trial champion for the texas region.

So many think it's about suspension goodies and horsepower ... on a road course, it's about the weight ...

Last edited by mitchntx; 05-12-2006 at 02:00 PM.

Quick Reply: How well does the 00-02 F-Body handle compared to C5 vette?