Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Gen F HAL's, ride?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gen F QA1's, ride?

I did a search on the HAL QA1 shocks and saw quite a few people complain about the "bounce" they add to the ride. The problem is that no one posts if the shocks are the R series or the gen f series. From what I've read it seems like the gen f's are better suited for daily driving. I am considering these for my D/D, but don't want to bounce all over the place. Anyone have any knowledge on the difference in ride (if any) between the two?

Last edited by fast01; 05-17-2006 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fast01
I did a search on the HAL shocks and saw quite a few people complain about the "bounce" they add to the ride. The problem is that no one posts if the shocks are the R series or the gen f series. From what I've read it seems like the gen f's are better suited for daily driving. I am considering these for my D/D, but don't want to bounce all over the place. Anyone have any knowledge on the difference in ride (if any) between the two?

It will depend on the stock setup. Mine is WS6 which has the stuffer springs and the Decarbon shocks.

I replaced the stock shocks the HAls (not R) still WS6 springs. But added 50 lb of weight to the front of the car (Turbo kit). Car bounced horribly, unless the shocks were cranked up pretty high.

I blew the front shock and had all four rebuilt to R specs also switched to the 275 HAL springs. Car drove a 100% better.

Car no longer has the turbo (50 lbs up front) and still has the drag springs up front. Hardly bounces, shocks settings are on 3 and all poly bushings.

So for at least for me its a lot better than before. Know compared to the stock ws6 setup it lot less harsh but does have a little more bounce. The R are supposed to wear out quicker than the regular HALs.

If you don't do any drag racing don't waste your time, they are not valved even close for daily driving.

Gary
Old 05-16-2006, 11:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the insight! Right now I've got MAC or BMR lowering springs, I can't remember which, and Bilstein HD's. I didn't do any research before I bought and got bit big time! The ride sucks! It doesn't really bounce, but I can't even begin to tell you how harsh it is. I can't stand it!

I do do some drag racing, maybe a handfull of times a year, so from what you're saying maybe the HAL's aren't really for me. The car sees way more street time than anything, I was just curious as to the difference in ride. Thanks!