Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Torque arm question

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 09:07 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Torque arm question

I am looking into buying a new torque arm, and i was wondering if it mattered if i was lowered or not. Do i need an adjustable one since i am lowered? And i am wanting a trans mount one if that matters.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

lowered makes a huge difference on clearance... i have a chassis mounted one and have maybe 2-1/2 inches of space. the chassis mounted one is used to help take stress off the tranny tailshaft. adj. pieces are used for changing the rear pinion angle for more or a track setup. if you plan on driving in the streets a lot go with the trans mount/ adj. or non adj. which doesn't lose clearance
Old 05-18-2006, 06:22 PM
Launching!

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2006, 08:43 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

Yes I would recommend a adjustable version since the vehicle is lowered. It will allow you to correct pinion angle for the best traction (which I am assuming is a concern). Some information on our item can be found at the link below, if you have any questions please ask and I will be glad to help.

http://www.umiperformance.com/2205.aspx

Thanks
Ryan
Old 05-18-2006, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Don't want to tell you what to buy. But the U.M.I. products are FIRST Class.
And as far as clearance here's an U.M.I. cross member mount TA.

They tuck up great. And Ryan builds one hell of a product line.
Hawk
Old 05-18-2006, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

well, definatley dont buy the bmr tranny mount adj, it sucks, I geet a kinds of noise from it, adjusted it too many times to count, wish umi would have had one when I bought it.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:57 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by daryl2cb@yahoo.com
well, definatley dont buy the bmr tranny mount adj, it sucks, I geet a kinds of noise from it, adjusted it too many times to count, wish umi would have had one when I bought it.
What kind of problems are you having? I have TONS of people running this setup and have had no complaints. Give me a call to see if I can help...

Lee Spicher
lee@bmrfabrication.com
Old 05-19-2006, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

lee, I apriecate the help, I contacted you guys a few times a couple years ago after the install, I got no real closure on the issue, except the conseption from most of your guys that is the way it is supposed to be.

I am definatley willing to try again, I do not like flaming sponcers, and I will remove my prevous comments if you can make good on justifying your product as a quality part to me.

ok, well from the begining, I know I had posted this else were in here and on the old ls1.com but I think it has been archived. so here goes,

I installed your torque arm on the car at 7000 miles. before the install, the tranny was solid, no wobbles, and the rear end felt planted and tight, I heard zero, I mean zero drivetrain noise. also before the install, I checked my pinion angle and original torque arm lenght as a reference for new bmr unit. Removed the old stock unit. Finally the the adjustable bmr piece arrived from thunder racing in the nice red color. this was my first suspension mod, and pretty much my only mod besides lid and ram air and filter at the time. I did not even have a cat back at this time, so I heard everything. So, I got the new piece all adjusted to the proper lenght, bolted the new bushing into the tranny and installed the two bolts through the rear end as par the instructions. set the pinion angle to -2.5 degrees as par my stock measure ment, took a ride. sounds like pinion is howling. stick vibrates like hell on the tranny. hmm, maybe it is the angle, so I go to -3 degrees same, -2 degrees, same, after about 3-4 weeks of adjustments swearing and all around displeasure in my 350.00 purchase I call you guys up, after three to four calls, in a nut shell, the response I get is that is normal. I am not sure how sounding the the rear end is going to explode is normal. anyway I drained and inspected the rear end, changed the fluid, its fine, bought new stock bushing and shell, installed stocker, no issue. gave bmr one more chance, reinstalled, same issues, if you have any suggestions please let me know, it is almost like the unit is bent, or something, I do not know I have spent 3 years and about 10000 miles trying to figure it out, to no end. I have installed it 5 times and evertime after the removal it noise is gone. Tried new ujoints out put yoke and got drive shaft rebalanced(did not need it no charge) so, if you want to understand the noise I have, to give you an idea, it sounds like when my toyota truck toasted the rear end, but like I said the rear is fine, and I know this because the fluid has been changed everytime I removed the tq arm, I also inspected all the gears, plus the noise is gone after old arm is put back on.

my conclusion, the arm is either messed up, ie I got a trq arm built on May 6th, or the first day back from new years break, or the design its self is just substandard and not satisfactory to me
I have tried everything I mean .10 of degree adjustments in about all ranges from 1.5 to 4, nothing works, It is pretty bad when I can hear my driveline over my headers. Well Lee, let me know what you think. I would call you, but I really prefer either pm's or post here, I spent way to much time on hold last several times I called your company. Arm is in new condiction, minor nics near adjustment hiem joints and around the rear bolts from tightening. Car never sees rain and has about 21000 miles at the time of this post. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by daryl2cb@yahoo.com; 05-19-2006 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

227Hawk, I have the same one and really love it. It is amazing how it keeps the car so solid to the ground, I can't wait to get to the track with it.

I went for a ride the other day after putting it on. I floored it from 3,500rpms in 1st and I thought something was wrong because it was really difficult to break the tires loose. Then I was like, oh you moron you put the t/a on, that's why!! Like I said, I'm dying to get to the track.

Old 05-19-2006, 12:56 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by daryl2cb@yahoo.com
lee, I apriecate the help, I contacted you guys a few times a couple years ago after the install, I got no real closure on the issue, except the conseption from most of your guys that is the way it is supposed to be.

I am definatley willing to try again, I do not like flaming sponcers, and I will remove my prevous comments if you can make good on justifying your product as a quality part to me.

ok, well from the begining, I know I had posted this else were in here and on the old ls1.com but I think it has been archived. so here goes,

I installed your torque arm on the car at 7000 miles. before the install, the tranny was solid, no wobbles, and the rear end felt planted and tight, I heard zero, I mean zero drivetrain noise. also before the install, I checked my pinion angle and original torque arm lenght as a reference for new bmr unit. Removed the old stock unit. Finally the the adjustable bmr piece arrived from thunder racing in the nice red color. this was my first suspension mod, and pretty much my only mod besides lid and ram air and filter at the time. I did not even have a cat back at this time, so I heard everything. So, I got the new piece all adjusted to the proper lenght, bolted the new bushing into the tranny and installed the two bolts through the rear end as par the instructions. set the pinion angle to -2.5 degrees as par my stock measure ment, took a ride. sounds like pinion is howling. stick vibrates like hell on the tranny. hmm, maybe it is the angle, so I go to -3 degrees same, -2 degrees, same, after about 3-4 weeks of adjustments swearing and all around displeasure in my 350.00 purchase I call you guys up, after three to four calls, in a nut shell, the response I get is that is normal. I am not sure how sounding the the rear end is going to explode is normal. anyway I drained and inspected the rear end, changed the fluid, its fine, bought new stock bushing and shell, installed stocker, no issue. gave bmr one more chance, reinstalled, same issues, if you have any suggestions please let me know, it is almost like the unit is bent, or something, I do not know I have spent 3 years and about 10000 miles trying to figure it out, to no end. I have installed it 5 times and evertime after the removal it noise is gone. Tried new ujoints out put yoke and got drive shaft rebalanced(did not need it no charge) so, if you want to understand the noise I have, to give you an idea, it sounds like when my toyota truck toasted the rear end, but like I said the rear is fine, and I know this because the fluid has been changed everytime I removed the tq arm, I also inspected all the gears, plus the noise is gone after old arm is put back on.

my conclusion, the arm is either messed up, ie I got a trq arm built on May 6th, or the first day back from new years break, or the design its self is just substandard and not satisfactory to me
I have tried everything I mean .10 of degree adjustments in about all ranges from 1.5 to 4, nothing works, It is pretty bad when I can hear my driveline over my headers. Well Lee, let me know what you think. I would call you, but I really prefer either pm's or post here, I spent way to much time on hold last several times I called your company. Arm is in new condiction, minor nics near adjustment hiem joints and around the rear bolts from tightening. Car never sees rain and has about 21000 miles at the time of this post. Thanks for your help.
I will PM you so as to not get this thread off track.

Thanks
Lee Spicher
Lee @bmrfabrication.com
(813)986-9302
Old 05-24-2006, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

I will let you guys know how the issue is worked out. It least we will see how BMR customer support is if nothing else.