Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Most comfy ride ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 01:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Most comfy ride ...

My car rides pretty ok now - it feels like it's floating on water, but it's not a super harsh ride, when I go over dips/bumps it feels real bad though, gives my girl a headache - and other people, im pretty ok with it though... I do drive long distances - but anyways -
Im looking into getting some 18' z06 motorsports and wanted to drop it... or just get the koni's and do the hosemode/lower pirch mod. I don't really mind the harsh ride, but my girlfriend does, and I do a lot of long distance/time driving so having a real comfortable ride is important... what would be the best way to get the most comfy ride and drop it some? If i can't drop it any i dont mind as long as the ride is more comfy than it is now, everytime i go over bumps/dips i feel everything, car has 100k miles on stock shocks as far as I know, my gramps gets discounts for me since he has his own auto shop, so what kinda shocks should I get? Would just getting some tokikos or whatever from autozone make a difference for now? Or should I wait for the konis? thanks guys, Haven't had a chance to give Sam a call yet, but will be doing so as soon as I get a chance...
Old 05-23-2006, 01:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMHO, for a street vehicle, you should indeed hold out a bit more for Koni SA's (not DA's, which were okay for me at the time but didn't really need the compression adjustment) and with keeping the stock springs with the lower front perch and the rear hose mod, you should yield something in the area you desired as mentioned in your post.

Most of the other shocks out there (besides Bilstein yellows) will leave you feeling great at first (kind of what most of the autozone stuff that you're mentioning), however if you were to then switch to Koni SA's, you'll then gain a better appreciation of what you were missing all along.

You can talk to Sam in order to solidify your decision, however my vote would be to just go straight to Koni SA's.

And BTW, you ought to reconsider from upgrading to 18" Z06 wheels or any other 18" wheels. Yes, you'll look cool with them and you'll "feel" like you've improved performance with them, however you'll also be adding considerably more rotational mass, having more expensive tyres to purchase, making the ride more bone jarring, and will not have enough pliance with the shorter sidewall which will lead to a more unpredictable traction limit when cornering. I speak this from experience.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:14 AM
Launching!

Foxxton's advice is spot on.....

If you want comfy, you'll not do better than stock springs and koni's. For street duty he stock springs handle very well if controled with a good damper. The SA's will drop the car 3/4" up front and the HH mod in the back will drop you 1/2".

Scott.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So if I was to get 17 inch wheels, would I get a more comfortable ride than 18's? Would the car look more lowered also? Thanks Guys
Old 05-23-2006, 08:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by eddielb
So if I was to get 17 inch wheels, would I get a more comfortable ride than 18's? Would the car look more lowered also? Thanks Guys
Yes and yes.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What setup would be most comfortable then? And cheaper? I don't consider the rim/tire price because my grandpa gets me free choices on those.. but the shocks/springs is what's the problem.

Would I be getting the koni's with the 17's? Or just some normal shocks and lowering springs and get more comfortable ride? Or just stick with konis and 17's ?
Old 05-23-2006, 09:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by eddielb
What setup would be most comfortable then? And cheaper? I don't consider the rim/tire price because my grandpa gets me free choices on those.. but the shocks/springs is what's the problem.

Would I be getting the koni's with the 17's? Or just some normal shocks and lowering springs and get more comfortable ride? Or just stick with konis and 17's ?
Re-read our responses, If you lower the car with lowering springs you will increase the spring rates and you will have less of a comfortable ride. 17" rims with a quality road tire, Koni's (using the lower spring perch and rear heater hose mod). And STOCK springs will be the most comfy you're going to get.

Scott.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ah - I c, thanks guys