Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suspension, powersteering, LS1 brakes on '93 T/A 111k miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 08:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Suspension, powersteering, LS1 brakes on '93 T/A 111k miles

Background: '93 T/A with 111k miles on it. Just purchased a LS1 brake upgrade kit from Whistler and want to make sure I don't need to replace anything else in the steering/suspension before I put it all on and pay for an alignment. The car is running original shocks/springs and I think a ball joint _may_ have been replaced. What should I inspect? I'm primarily wondering about ball joints, bushings, shocks, etc.

One more thing--for a while my steering was hard to turn at idle... Giving it a little gas helps restore power to the steering... Power steering fluid was drained and replaced when I did my heads prior to the problem starting to occur. It's been better lately (2 months later) after slightly topping off fluid. The pump did drop about 18" onto the concrete when I was taking it out. Do you think I may have just insufficiently bled the line on reassembly or is this the sign of a failing power steering pump and/or rack and pinion assembly.

Also, do I need to buy LS1 caliper mounting bolts for the upgrade or can I reuse the original LT1 bolts?

Thanks,

FraggleRock

Last edited by FraggleRock; 05-23-2006 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:51 PM
Restricted User

The LS1 caliper bolts are 12MM
LT1 bolts ??
Old 06-01-2006, 10:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FraggleRock
My steering is hard to turn at idle... Giving it a little gas helps restore power to the steering... Power steering fluid was drained and replaced when I did my heads prior to the problem starting to occur. It's been better lately (2 months later) after slightly topping off fluid. The pump did drop about 18" onto the concrete when I was taking it out. Do you think I may have just insufficiently bled the line on reassembly or is this the sign of a failing power steering pump and/or rack and pinion assembly.
Okay, I just did LS1 brake upgrade along with new ball joints and outer tie rod ends, and a 17" SS wheel/tire combo. The steering is very hard to turn when idling or turning at slow speeds such as when parking. Should I replace the power steering pump? How can I determine if it's the pump, or the rack and pinion, or something else? Surely someone has had similar steering difficulties. Thanks.