Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Wheel alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 11:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel alignment?

Ello all

I just got a 99 firebird. Occasionally when im driving, the steering wheel jerks off to one side and I have to keep it straight with a pretty strong grip on the wheel. It does this sometimes when Im just slowly moving at a red light, and when I go to switch lanes doing about 60. Im just wonderring if I should just get an easy wheel alignment from a mechanic or is it normal in FBs? Im new to the handling so.. just looking for some advice.

Thanks
Old 05-27-2006, 01:55 PM
TECH Junkie

What size rims and tires are you running? Is it lowered? What shocks? What sway bars?

Sorry for all the questions, without knowing more about your setup, it's hard to diagnose.

-Mike
Old 05-27-2006, 02:55 PM
TECH Resident

they are 17' rim w/ gt racing tires is all I know, not lowered, nor does it have sway bars. And not sure what shocks I have, I just got it about 2 days ago =O
pics of the tires/rims are in the firebird section
Old 05-28-2006, 12:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Sounds like it's trammelling, which is very common on our cars with 17x9.5" rims. Performance tires with stiff sidewalls will follow ruts in the road pretty easily, making it feel like it will want to rip the steering wheel out of your hands if you're not careful. There's not really a "fix" for it, but a good performance alignment helps. Do a search for the "Trackbird alignment".

-Mike
Old 05-28-2006, 01:00 AM
12 Second Club

same thing happens to me man, no worries, a good alignment is always somethin good to keep on top of though, def worth the money IMO