Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI adjustable TQ arm clunking??

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default UMI adjustable TQ arm clunking??

just wanna check if this clunking noise is normal? it happens over bumps, when i down shift, when i shift in general if its a lil rough, when i floor it, etc.... its the tunnel mounted one. i know the ride is supposed to be a little noisier but is this the noise im supposed to hear? all the bolts are as tight as i can get them so i dunno
Old 05-28-2006, 10:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar clunking on my stock torque arm when the bolt holding it to the tranny tail housing came out. The clunking I heard was the front of the torque arm hitting the floorpan.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha ya i had that same problem with my 3rd gen but now my 02 with a tunnel mounted tq arm is doing it? wish i had time to get under the car to check it out today though, if it were hitting my floors it should leave a mark of somesort...
Old 05-28-2006, 11:30 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Since this is a tunnel mounted torque arm most likely the front pivot bolts are not tight enough. This set-up is designed to pivot when needed however if the bolts are not tight enough when they go to make a movement they may "clunk". Try to torque these bolts more then what they are now and see how it goes from there, I think that will cure the issue. Also look at the y-pipe...I have see times when the y-pipe was hitting the cross member but the sound appeared to be the torque arm.

Hope that helps!
Ryan
Old 05-28-2006, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

check the bolts/nuts that attach the torque arm to the rear axle housing. i have a stiff ride, and vibrations caused the bolts to loosen up....and that caused clunkin noised when i shifted, also when i tapped the throttle over and over. i used thread lock then tightend em up real good. its fined now. dont kno if thats the cause in ur situation but def check underneath for anything loose
Old 05-29-2006, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

As far as the bolts on the rear differential goes.....the stockers are just too short. I had the stock bolts in there when I first got my TA, but I didn't feel comfortable with the fact that the nut didn't catch all the threads and was only like 3/4 of the way in...maybe a little more. So I got the "hardware kit" from Spohn which cost 20 bucks and consists of longer bolts along with nuts and washers...much better now.