Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Broken torque arm bracket?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 06:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Broken torque arm bracket?

Well I tried to launch my car with spray and it seemed to have broken something. I was driving it afterwards and you can feel a little vibration and something seems to hit the rear when you hit the brakes or give it some gas. So I jacked the car up and I see the rear part of the torque arm bracket it looked like it cracked a little bit. Then I start lookin more and it seems the bolt the mounts the car was no longer there. What do I need to replace this? Do I just go to like Autozone and ask for a rear torque arm bracket? Or what is this called? Or should I just get it welded and retap the holes?
Old 05-29-2006, 06:19 PM
10 Second Club

Did the torque arm itself crack? If so, just buy a used one cheap and install it with new bolts. But you seriously need to look at buying an aftermarket torque arm.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

Oh I'm sorry I didn't explain. No the torque arm didn't break and it is a BMR Adjustable Torque ARM the bracket just broke. Where can I get a bracket from? I also have the Moser 12 bolt rear, didn't know if that mattered?
Old 05-29-2006, 08:22 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You mean the bracket that attaches the torque arm to the transmission correct? If so that is pretty common and there is a fix. You can replace the bracket with either a used one or I think a GM dealer can get it..I am pretty sure auto parts stores can't get that item. The problem with replacing it, is it will most likely happen again sometime down the road. The ultimate fix is a torque arm relocation kit and it can be seen in the link below. This will mount the torque arm off the transmission and eliminate that bracket completely and prevent it from ever happening again. If you need any help just ask and I will be glad to.

http://www.umiperformance.com/2207.aspx

Hope that helps!
Ryan
Old 05-30-2006, 09:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
You mean the bracket that attaches the torque arm to the transmission correct? If so that is pretty common and there is a fix. You can replace the bracket with either a used one or I think a GM dealer can get it..I am pretty sure auto parts stores can't get that item. The problem with replacing it, is it will most likely happen again sometime down the road. The ultimate fix is a torque arm relocation kit and it can be seen in the link below. This will mount the torque arm off the transmission and eliminate that bracket completely and prevent it from ever happening again. If you need any help just ask and I will be glad to.

http://www.umiperformance.com/2207.aspx

Hope that helps!
Ryan
Nope it's the bracket that attaches to the other end to the rear. It is fine where teh tranny is. But the bracket that attaches near the rear end has cracked.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by boostedrs
Nope it's the bracket that attaches to the other end to the rear. It is fine where teh tranny is. But the bracket that attaches near the rear end has cracked.
Well then its the TQ arm

You say you have a moser 12 bolt and im guessing the bolts started to back out and eventually broke the TQ arm where you adjust the pinion angle.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:53 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

The Moser 12-bolt has a well documented issue with having the bolts loosen. Once they loosen it puts leverage on the torque arm bracket, fatigues it then brakes . We recommend at the very least to put loctite on them and retorque them on a regular basis to ensure this type of damage doesn't occur. We do sell just the torque arm bracket by itself to cut down on the replacement costs. Just give me a call or email I'll be more then happy to help you out

Thanks
Lee Spicher
(813)986-9302
lee@bmrfabrication.com
Old 05-30-2006, 02:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anybody ever think of wiring tying the bolts?
Old 05-30-2006, 07:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by sscam68
Anybody ever think of wiring tying the bolts?
Ive said it before in other post, but people still havent caught on
Old 05-30-2006, 08:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Relocation bracket and torque arm to go with it. Sell yours.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

Thanks Lee for hooking me up with the bracket!
Old 06-05-2006, 07:32 PM
On The Tree

Thanks Lee for hooking me up with the bracket!
Old 06-05-2006, 09:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a BMR TQ arm that has the same problem it was on a 12 bolt car and we replaced it with a off the trans mounted one and this one has been on the shelf i am going to have the bracket welded and install it on my MOSER 9 possibly this weekend, i was going to just get another one but it looks like it can be repaired easily i hope lol
Old 06-10-2006, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

Does anyone know what size the bolts are that go into the rear torque arm and where I can find them?

Quick Reply: Broken torque arm bracket?