Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bleeding when installing EBCM module?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 09:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Bleeding when installing EBCM module?

I was wondering if anyone knew FOR SURE whether you need a tech 2 or not.

I have searched numerous posts on this forum...half say you need it, half say you don't...I just don't want to be up **** creek without a paddle and have to get towed to the stealership or something.

So, if I replace the EBCM, do I need a tech 2 to bleed it? Or is there any special way to do it other than the traditional bleeding method at the calipers?
Old 06-05-2006, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I remember this post, and I think you do as well.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....5&postcount=14

Now, AFA relying on this site, my posts, other's posts, and being weary of the "stealerships.", it's a huge risk, especially since several of the members are hundreds and maybe nearly a thousand miles away. The stealerships are obviously referred to that because of their unsavory practises. Here's some suggestions.

re-read those posts, call up several stealerships and verify what needs to be done. If they refuse to take the time and explain, look elsewhere. I'd say look for non-dealership garage equipped with a tech 2 and see what they can arrange.

now, from a mechanic that I still have contact with that mechanic that is ASE master certified and does use the all of the tools that make labour easier and much more accurate basically stated what can be done quite well, and quite precise:

"It can be done either way. The tech 2 makes it much easier in one single session while the car is on the shop to reset the EBCM valves and just have all of the air evacuated from the brake system completely so you can just drive off with the ABS module and the brake system in full operating condition."

I should note that he added this as well, "GM designed the system to be done either way, however using the 'bench bleed' method takes more time, and requires the pressure bleeders attached to the bleed valves on the calipers, driving the vehicle slowly and properly to reset the ABS module valves, then returning to the garage to rebleed." This method is what those posts explained. The emphasis with either method as you know is to get the valves reset, get the air out of the system, and have both the EBCM and the PCM work in proper sync.

Now with all that's been said here, I say that if you are even skiddish with doing the "non tech-2 bench bleed method" you might want to wave off from it, and get professionals to install, or better yet, I have a suggestion. Since you have ASE certification, try to find a shop that has a tech 2 that you could use for a fee while you perform the work in their shop. Yes, there are practically one in a thousand that will ever let you do this (they have concerns with insurance, safety regulations, and interest conflicts, etc.), however it's worth a try.

Last edited by Foxxtron; 06-05-2006 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you don't need a tech 2, even corvettes don't use a tech 2.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:34 PM
wrencher

Like I have posted B-4 a tech-II is not necessary. It does make it an easier job having the scan tool, but you can get by w/out.

Quick Reply: Bleeding when installing EBCM module?