Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Vibration - bad strut?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 06:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration - bad strut?

Tried this in front drivers forum but no help- Not an f-body but my wifes front wheel drive has a vibration ( feels alot like hop ) thru the steering wheel when I get around 70 mph. No uneven tread wear. Ive put new tires on and had them rebalanced and the vib. is still there. No problem at other speeds, just 70 - 80. Could it be a bad strut - the car is an Olds Alero with 90k. Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks
Old 06-06-2006, 06:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A strut/shock only serves to damp vibration. There
is something else that starts & sustains it.

For example you can add enough weights to the rim
to get an out-of-round tire to balance, but it will
still bounce when it rolls.

Have the chase vehicle drive alongside at speed
and observe the wheels; if they are indeed going
up and down it will be noticeable. I see cars like
that on the highway sometimes and wonder how
they live with it.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:41 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Did you get a road force balance? Its like a regular balance but a roller is pressed against the tire to simulate road force. It can detect a defect in the rubber, out-of-round, and is a more accurate balance. Its more likely a problem with the tires or driveline than the struts.

Any other symptoms, noises, etc at any other time or at the same time?

What JimmyBlue said is a good idea (I've done this for my roomate), have a friend in a chase vehicle watch the wheels.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No I dont think weve tried that type of balancing - The first was the old school bubble balance and then we moved up to the next level, cant remember what is was called but they spin in then spray it where the uneven spot is and put the flat weights inside the rim. J.B. - youre right about trying to live with it- sucks big time , once I hit 70 mph its like Back To The Future right before the car goes off into flames. I was thinking maybe the strut could have a worn valve that maybe wasnt keeping enough pressure to hold the road. I'll try the chase deal, to see if it is or isnt hoping a little. thanks fellas. Steve