Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

true duals + chassis mounted tq. arm?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default true duals + chassis mounted tq. arm?

anybody with true duals dumped at the axle running a chassis mounted (tunnel brace) torque arm?

i was looking at some pictures and i think i will run into problems with this setup, as i have 3" true duals with x dumped at the axle (4x9 magnaflows) coming off of long tube pacesetters.

i'd really like to get a chassis mounted t/a because i don't want the extra stress on the tailshaft of my tranny.

any ideas?

edit: i also have KB DD sub-frames..

Last edited by s346k; 06-11-2006 at 10:05 PM.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ya it basically requires a custom true dual fab job... which i will soon be running
Old 06-12-2006, 05:56 AM
TECH Junkie

bah, that's what it looked like.

my car really doesn't have any traction problems, i just wanted to relieve the tailshaft on my trans and ensure my dead hook on a prepped track.

what i've read for automatics is that it's best to run -2* pinion angle. opinions?
Old 06-12-2006, 09:36 AM
12 Second Club

Have you looked at this product from UMI?

http://www.umiperformance.com/2207.aspx

Kevin
Old 06-12-2006, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have BMR's version of the same product and very few issues with my 2.5" duals & x-pipe. The only thing is that I have the TA set at the highest setting on the front to clear the exhaust when the car is raised up by the chassis and not rear axle. Otherwise, the axle drops and the TA wants to pull down on the exhaust. I don't launch hard, and don't go to the track; I haven't had any problems so far.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LS1PoweredZ28
Have you looked at this product from UMI?

http://www.umiperformance.com/2207.aspx

Kevin
yes...but that doesn't really solve my clearance problems with the exhaust. the x in the exhaust is about 1' behind the tranny mount, which puts the driver's side entry pipe right through the torque arm. the shop that did the exhaust tucked it VERY well and did an excellent job..evidently TOO good, heh.

i know i'm not at a power level capable of breaking mounts yet, i just want the peace of mind knowing that the stress from the rear isn't torquing on my tailshaft...oh well. i guess if i break something with a reg. tq arm i should be happy i can launch that hard.

Originally Posted by Marc '99T/A
I don't launch hard, and don't go to the track; I haven't had any problems so far.
90% of the car's use is at the track...the other 10% is going to and fro. i try to launch as hard as i can as often as i can. however i am done racing until fall as summer weather prohibits besting my times thus far..

Quick Reply: true duals + chassis mounted tq. arm?