Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

question about cutting springs.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006 | 02:42 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Onebad99TA
When you cut a spring you screw up its ability to compress the way it was engineered because it's no longer flat on the cut end. That's all there is to it. You're probably not going to notice a huge difference in ride or anything, but it's still not going to be "right." The best thing to do is get different springs that will give you the ride height you're looking for, but of course that's the expensive way of doing it. Doesn't mean it's a bad idea.
My car rides all funky now and the T/A mount (moser 9") has knocked a hole in the floor from 2nd gear clutch drops and hard launches. The springs I have now are the eibach pro's, before I got the pro's I had Ground controls which were great but when I put in the 9" the ID of the rear spring perches were 1 1/2" taller than stock which is fine if youre running any other spring than a ground control. Ground Controls have an alluminum insert that adjusts for ride heigth, this peice rides on the inside of the spring perch hole. So I'm tired of spending money, just want my rear end to sop banging a hole in the bottom of my car and my Y pipe to stop dragging on every single bump in the road. BTW I still have the factory bump stops too.
Old 08-31-2006 | 10:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

if u can't afford new springs..just wait til' you can...cutting springs is crazy on our cars.
Old 08-31-2006 | 01:26 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
if u can't afford new springs..just wait til' you can...cutting springs is crazy on our cars.
Ahh, I wussed out. I put stock V6 rear springs on and did the "heater hose mod". I'm actually VERY happy with the results, the wife even thinks the ride is better and it raised the rear about 1"-3/4" higher.