Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Setting Spohn TA?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 04:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setting Spohn TA?

Alright so i just bought a used adjustable TA, and i dont have any clue on how to find the best setting for it. Can someone guide me in the right direction?

347 ls1 w/ fully p&p 5.3L heads, nitrous cam, th350 w/ 4000 stall. 3.73 gears, 26" tires. hoping on motor for 60's in the mid-low 1.6 range, low 1.5 60's on nitrous.
Old 06-17-2006, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you're setting it for drag racing you'll want between -2 to -4* for the pinion angle, see if this helps any http://www.go-fast.org/z28/pinionangle.html
Old 06-18-2006, 02:18 PM
11 Second Club

ah, that does help. any idea where i could find an angle finder?
Old 06-18-2006, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

summit, jegs, most automotive places, one of the sponsors might even have one
Old 06-19-2006, 06:50 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MyCarIsSLow
ah, that does help. any idea where i could find an angle finder?
... Home Depot
get one that is easy to read, the larger the dial the better.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:05 AM
TECH Resident

don't adjust your pinion angle using your driveshaft, as this will not correctly set your pinion angle to match your tranny output angle. If these angles are not the same or close to the same, you will get high speed vibrations.

I just installed a Spohn adjustable TA as I had a high speed vibration and found out I had a difference of 4 degrees between my tranny output shaft angle and pinion angle. I adjusted my new TA so my pinion angle matched my tranny output shaft angle and it made a big difference!!!! No more of that cyclical high speed vibration.

BTW, I measured all my angles from the drivers side.

http://www.streetissuecustoms.com/pinionangle.html

This is what I did:

Measure angles from same side of car. First measure angle at face of crank pulley. This is normal to crank shaft which is parallel to trans shaft. Then measure angle at face of pinion yoke. This is normal to pinion. I want these angles to be the same when the car is under load. From this point while the car is at rest, you adjust the torque arm to move the pinion downward between 0 and 2 degrees depending on your intended usage. Some even go to 3 degrees for racing. Mine is pretty finicky and I get vibration if I go past -1 degree. This downward adjustment is to account for suspension loading while under load. Less angle for highway cruising, more angle for drag racing. Different angles to accomodate different suspension loads. Maximum power is transferred through the drivetrain when the pinion is parallel to the crankshaft at any given load condition--just depends on what you want to optimize for. FYI -- The crankshaft and trans mainshaft are parallel by design (the engine and trans are bolted together).