Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Help!!! Virbration~!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 11:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help!!! Virbration~!!!!

i have steering wheel SHAKE/VIRBRATION at 85mph-105mph and it goes away... WHAT COULD BE WRONG??~!! i just rebalanced my tires/wheels and alighnment is almost PERFECT and front tires are fairly new.. anyone know?? it is driving me NUTS
Old 06-24-2006, 07:42 AM
TECH Resident

anyone??
Old 06-24-2006, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

I also have a bad vibration in the steering wheel around 55-65 mph. I don't think it's the tires as I just threw a different set of tires/rims on the car. So it must be something else. This is about to be my daily driver, so I need to figure out why it's doing this soon.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:26 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Did you get a road force balance when you balanced the wheels & Tires? If not, then I highly suggest you do so. What a road force balance offers over a regular balance is that a roller is placed against the wheel/tire to simulate road force. This will tell if the tire deflects improperly or has some other defect which could cause a vibration that a regular balance wont catch or premature failure. This may also better detect an out-of-round condition in the wheel/tire. Also, how much weight is on the rims? If it looks like more than a small amount, then the heavy part of the wheel might be lined up with the heavy part of the tire. In which case, the affected wheel/tire will have to have the tire roated 180* in respect to the wheel and rebalanced.

If you want to save money and are able to, swap to another wheel/tire package. If the vibration goes away, then the issue is with the wheel/tire package. If the vibration remains (an you know the alternate wheel/tire package is properly balanced), then the drive shaft may be out of balance (less likely scenario). If neither of those fixes the vibration, then the pinion angle could be off. Before getting the driveshaft balanced, check the pinion angle.

Last edited by VIP1; 06-26-2006 at 09:45 PM.