Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How good is the Bilstien BTS suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 09:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How good is the Bilstien BTS suspension?

Comes with the tuned valved struts shocks and the 1.25 inch drop springs...Thinking about this setup...but might get Hotchkis springs instead...Thanks
Old 07-01-2006, 12:29 PM
Staging Lane

Hello...

I bought this set a few months ago, some detail info:

What I could see on my own:

- The springs are progressive ones
- The springs are much stiffer than the stock springs

What I've been reading here about this combo (most of the info is from Mr. Strano, here on the board):

- The shocks in this set are regular Bilstein HD's, which are designed for the stock springs and stock height, because of that, they are not properly valved to work with the stiffer springs.
- It is even more difficult to revalve the shocks for these springs at all, because of their progressive rate.

This is the info, I found on different boards:
- The springs seem to lower the car more than the nominal 1.25 inches.
- The ride with this setup seems to be a little bit uncomfortable and bouncy, because fo the underdamped springs.

In the meantime, I installed the shocks fromt the set together with the stock springs ( I found this info in an earlier post from Mr. Strano here, that this could be good combination).
Right now I can say, that this combination is MUCH better than the stock DeCarbon shocks. The car feels much better! But it is not lowered now (and I want to lower it 1-1.25") and I want a little bit more control...

In the next weeks I will try the HD's together with the Bilstein springs, just to be sure, that this is not the way to go for me....
Maybe I will end with Konis, or with a Coil-Over-setup.

But I#m not a suspension guru... ;-) There are a lot of possible setups, even a lot of good ones and you should talk to someone, who knows this stuff better... (One of them is mentioned above).

Regards from germany, Holger
Old 07-01-2006, 06:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Silver99Z28
Hello...

I bought this set a few months ago, some detail info:

What I could see on my own:

- The springs are progressive ones
- The springs are much stiffer than the stock springs

What I've been reading here about this combo (most of the info is from Mr. Strano, here on the board):

- The shocks in this set are regular Bilstein HD's, which are designed for the stock springs and stock height, because of that, they are not properly valved to work with the stiffer springs.
- It is even more difficult to revalve the shocks for these springs at all, because of their progressive rate.

This is the info, I found on different boards:
- The springs seem to lower the car more than the nominal 1.25 inches.
- The ride with this setup seems to be a little bit uncomfortable and bouncy, because fo the underdamped springs.

In the meantime, I installed the shocks fromt the set together with the stock springs ( I found this info in an earlier post from Mr. Strano here, that this could be good combination).
Right now I can say, that this combination is MUCH better than the stock DeCarbon shocks. The car feels much better! But it is not lowered now (and I want to lower it 1-1.25") and I want a little bit more control...

In the next weeks I will try the HD's together with the Bilstein springs, just to be sure, that this is not the way to go for me....
Maybe I will end with Konis, or with a Coil-Over-setup.

But I#m not a suspension guru... ;-) There are a lot of possible setups, even a lot of good ones and you should talk to someone, who knows this stuff better... (One of them is mentioned above).

Regards from germany, Holger
Thanks for input...I'm going to be running the 1le springs so the shocks and struts should be good for me...Hopefully since i can't afford Koni$$$$$$$$$$'s