Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake Pads - Durastops or Hawk HPS? Non-drilled/slotted rotors

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2002, 08:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brake Pads - Durastops or Hawk HPS? Non-drilled/slotted rotors

I haven't found that much information on the Hawks compared to Durastops. I'm looking for a good street brake pad that would resist fading after spirited runs through the back roads and I narrowed it to these two. I don't really care if it dusts a little, I just want to have something that's going to stop good and not squeek (I hate noisy brakes). So which one would you get and why.

Also who makes decent set of rotors that aren't slotted or drilled. I don't believe slotting or drilling helps and I don't want rotor that can't be turned. GM rotors don't seem to hold up.
Old 06-04-2002, 09:35 AM
Staging Lane

Default Re: Brake Pads - Durastops or Hawk HPS? Non-drilled/slotted rotors

Carbotech SuperStreet-F may work well for you. Most of the Hawk pads are for track use but there is a street compound, the HPS but I don't know if your car is too heavy for it.
If your undecided, call larry at 1-877-899-5024 http://www.carbotecheng.com/main.htm He is a big help when trying to choose pads.

Joel
Old 06-04-2002, 08:16 PM
TECH Resident

Im using a set of Hawk HPS pads on Roto-Tech Drilled and slotted rotors up front. They dont make the rear rotors yet, so in the rear its all stock.. But i can note a marked improvement in stopping power over stock... Ive used durastops on my other cars, and they are pretty good.. I cant give a solid comparison cause i havent used em on my SS. But the Hawk HPS pads are awesome.. Especially with the Roto-Tech rotos.. and the whole setup is cheap too! 70 bucks a peice for the rotors from LS1Speed.com, and i think the pads are 85.99 for the front pair. 55.99 for the rear pair.. Roto-Tech will be producing the rear rotors very shortly...
Old 06-06-2002, 12:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Duro-Stops are complete garbage. The regular factory AC Delco pads are the ones you want. Part#18026298 Front Part#88899570 Rear

No dust.

Quick Reply: Brake Pads - Durastops or Hawk HPS? Non-drilled/slotted rotors