Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suspension Pro's Help...Proper Tq arm adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Suspension Pro's Help...Proper Tq arm adjustment

Who can tell me and half a million other people on here what the correct way to set the pinion angle is??? There are 2 links below claiming to be the correct way to get the -2* but my question is which is right? Which is wrong? I have tried both ways on the street and can not tell any difference between the 2. I guess the real test will be my 60ft times but I would love to know what direction to lean towards. Thanks in advance

http://www.streetissuecustoms.com/pinionangle.html

http://www.go-fast.org/z28/pinionangle.html
Old 07-06-2006, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

i went with the method that spohn tells you to use in their instuctions that come with the torque arm which is the second link, seems to be workin just fine for me
Old 07-07-2006, 11:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

bump for today
Old 07-11-2006, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

N E 1 else
Old 07-11-2006, 05:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They're both right.

Here's the same thing in simpler terms.... for real-

http://www.wolferacecraft.com/pinionangle.aspx

Hope this helps
Old 07-12-2006, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SLowETz
They're both right.

The 2 I listed are not the same, totally different.

As per instructions from SPOHN and in the 2nd link, u use the driveshat vs. rear pinion. The top link says using the driveshat vs rear pinion is wrong that u use transmission shaft vs. rear pinion.....When I do the 2 methods my rear is way different from the other.

In link one, my trans. sits down -6* so to get the desired -2* pinion angle my rearend has to point up +4*

2nd link using the ds vs. rear my rear points down -1*.

From what I have gathered the rear pointing down is correct....but my issue is that when I have it set to the claimed -2* w/rear pointing down, my shifter will get very hot to the touch. When set at the claimed -2* w/rear up my shifter has no heat in it at all. This makes me think that w/ rear down is putting trans in a bind causing the shifter to heat up.....
Old 07-12-2006, 11:56 AM
TECH Resident

I used my tranny output shaft and pinion angles to correct a vibration I had. So, I used the first method. In order to set it up correctly so you don't have the chance of having any high speed vibration you need your pinion to be at the same angle as your tranny output shaft.

my rear end is pointing up at the same angle as my motor/tranny is pointing down.

what you are trying to do is get the differnces in angular velocities from a single cardon joint (u joint) to cancel each other out. The u joints in your driveshaft are installed 90 degrees out from each other. If you don't have your tranny output shaft and pinion angles the same your u joints angular velocities will not be canceling each other out causing your driveline to bind. The more the angles are off, the more driveline binding you will have.

Last edited by JR HAWK 9; 07-12-2006 at 12:04 PM.