Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Widest rear tire I can put on my 17" WS6 rim?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2002, 01:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Default Re: Widest rear tire I can put on my 17" WS6 rim?

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
Will the 285's be visually wider than the 275's?

If so, how much?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">In the same model tire, the 285's will be almost a half-inch wider at the contact patch than the 275's. It'll pull the lip in just a hair more than the 275, but nothing as bad as the 315. Will they be visually wider? Not to my eye.

The tire patch size will remain the same for any given vehicle weight and tire pressure. Of course your contact patch will always be narrower than your section width by about an inch.

Waddya mean 285mm isn't wide enough?

285mm
---------- = 11.2"
25.4mm/in
Old 06-10-2002, 12:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got it now, thanks.

Looks like I may have to get the HRE 545's I always wanted and stop worrying about all this.
Old 06-10-2002, 04:15 AM
TECH Addict

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Quickin:
<strong>Got it now, thanks.

Looks like I may have to get the HRE 545's I always wanted and stop worrying about all this.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I am not sure what they look like but so long as they are 17x10 then a 315 will fit fine.
Old 02-19-2003, 09:11 PM
Teching In

Alright, I work at Discount Tire... which means that I do know a little about tires, and have some experience with various fitments... you can technically fit a 315 tire on a 9.5 inch rim, but most people wear the center section out of the tire in a rediculously short amount of time, with Nittos, which wear that way often anyway, the problem is compounded, so most people have to run really low tire pressures just to be able to get decent tire life. Best case scenario is that you will not have to much of a war problem, but you won't see much of a gain over a 275 because of the way the tire would buldge
Old 02-19-2003, 09:27 PM
TECH Regular

Basically its form or function.
Form= 315's on stock rims (looks good)
Function= 275's, 285's stock wheels (works good)
Its all about contact patch, more rubber more usable power.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:23 PM
TECH Veteran

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by 99RedT/A:
<strong> Alright, I work at Discount Tire... which means that I do know a little about tires, and have some experience with various fitments... you can technically fit a 315 tire on a 9.5 inch rim, but most people wear the center section out of the tire in a rediculously short amount of time, with Nittos, which wear that way often anyway, the problem is compounded, so most people have to run really low tire pressures just to be able to get decent tire life. Best case scenario is that you will not have to much of a war problem, but you won't see much of a gain over a 275 because of the way the tire would buldge </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">So, will I get LESS traction by putting a 315/35/17 BFG Drag tire on my 9-inch factory WS6 rim, compared to a 275/40/17 BFG Drag tire?

I want to keep them at normal pressure because I don't want to lose handling.

Also, will a BFG Drag radial handle (conering) better than a GY F1?
Old 02-19-2003, 11:26 PM
TECH Veteran

What should I put up front that will corner really good and wear well?
I have a buttload of power & tq.

Also, this car is ONLY a street car.

Quick Reply: Widest rear tire I can put on my 17" WS6 rim?