Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

? for lowered cars with 17X11's (long)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2002, 10:43 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ? for lowered cars with 17X11's (long)

I just lowered my car with a Pro-kit and at the same time after many phone calls and much research I ordered some 18x10 inch Billet Specialties wheels with 7.25 inches of backspacing. Well to make a very, very long story short the wheels rub extremely bad on the rear fender lip. The first Pro-kit dropped the car nearly 2.5 inches. The second kit they sent (after I convinced them the first kit was bad) dropped the car a little over 2 inches. Anyway, I am done dealing with Eibach for now. My question for guys running 17x11's with lowered cars is how do you do it without rubbing? What backspacing are you guys running? There is no rubbing with my factory wheel because it tucks completely inside of the wheel well. However, the Billet Specialties wheels do not stick out of the wheel well either. I don't think rolling the lip will help much either. It would have to be rolled almost completely flat and I do not want to risk cracking the paint on a 2002 Z28 that I have only had for about 4 months. I am in the process of putting the stock springs back on the car so I can see if that will cure my rubbing problem. I really hate the fact that I have to run stock springs, but those wheels cost a lot more than the Eibachs and are a vast visual improvement over the stock wheels. Please someone help me out here. I have got a lot of time and money just hanging in the balance here.
Old 06-19-2002, 11:39 AM
On The Tree

Default Re: ? for lowered cars with 17X11's (long)

i have 17x11 CCW's with 7.5" backspace... rear springs are G2 super springs.. like 130-180 progressive rate.. and a 21MM rear sway...

i rolled the lip up a little bit...

the fix for you problem is simple... buy an adjustable ride height kit for the back... basically it's a height adjustable perch that sits on top of the stock perch

get some pretty stiff rear springs.. that should limit your body roll... and the adjustability of the height will take care of any further problems

http://www.globalwest.net/camaro93.htm#Rear ride height adjustment kit

<small>[ June 19, 2002, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: prockbp ]</small>
Old 06-19-2002, 11:48 AM
Staging Lane

I borrowed my friends Billet Spec. wheels last weekend size 17x11 in back. I put them on my 99 Z28 with G2 springs (stock shocks) and had the same probs you are encountering.

My thoughts were to either get stiffer rear shocks or like said above adj. ride height spring shock combo in back and just raise it up a bit.

Alan
Old 06-21-2002, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have 17x11's with 7.93" backspacing (or 50mm offset). It'd the Corvette Grand Sport offset.

My car is lowered about 1-1/2" with the Hotchkis springs. No spacers, no rubbing with the 315/35 Nitto DR's. My firend's car has the same wheels with 315/35 BFG DR's and they are a little fatter tire and he has to use 5/16" spacers, but he could avoid them by whacking the inner fenderwell a small amount.

Here are a few pics of my car: (go the ZR1 wheel album) http://www.netsnapshot.com/pcw/build...0&ACCOUNT=6866

Quick Reply: ? for lowered cars with 17X11's (long)