Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lowered and now a ride problem......

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2002, 09:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowered and now a ride problem......

Ok installed my hotchkis lowering springs today. They gave the car a nice look and it feels tighter in the corners now, only thing is when I hit bumps on the road like the deep crevices from where the cement has cracked, I get this almost slight clanking up front. I took a look under to see if I could see anything and all I noticed was that the bottom 4-5 coils on the springs were fully compressed on each other, and the 4-5 on tops had about 3/4 inch space (obviously the softer portion of the progressive rate) My question is, is this right? Do the bottom few coils rest on each other on the lowering springs? Thanks in advance

<small>[ June 25, 2002, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: Matt Kilkenny ]</small>
Old 06-26-2002, 07:41 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Lowered and now a ride problem......

Not sure on the springs but if you're still using the stock decarbons DUMP THEM NOW!!! They suck. Especially with newer springs and if you're over 30K.
Old 06-27-2002, 12:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Lowered and now a ride problem......

the coils should not touch each other during 'normal' suspension travel. If the coils are hitting each other, they will be noisy. This happens with some 'progressive' rate springs. It will also affect your handling, as the compressed coils will make the car handle like those loops have been cut off (they may as well be).

Linear rate springs avoid this issue.

Can you take a picture and post it? I saw this happen with the same springs on another car (same complaint) but lost the picture....

DaveH