Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Installing hotchkis springs. do i need to buy better shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 09:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing hotchkis springs. do i need to buy better shocks?

just wondering if i have to buy shocks or are the stock ones good for now. might be a dumb question but just want to make sure before i install them.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock shocks suck. Apparently, we do not know what we are missing until we change them. Just read the first three pages in this forum and you will see what I mean. People go on and on about how shitty they are. Springs basically just lower the car and do not have that much to do with the ride QUALITY. Shocks are what dampen the bumps and make our cars feel like they are cheap steel buckets. If you are going to do springs you really want to do it all at once. I can do the whole swap in about 2.5 hours now but it took me like 8 hours my first time and I have read some posts where some guys took up the whole weekend, lol, like one side on Sat and the other side on Sun. Not to mention you would have to pay for an allignment twice, once after the spring change and again after the shock change. I am going to call Sam Strano tomorrow and talk to him about a package. Just do a search and read his info, he knows what he is doing.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some good advise from SStolen. It took me 7 hrs to do my entire shock/spring swap and if I had to do it again I'd shave a few hours off that time for sure. Anyway, definitely get the shocks now and you will save yourself the trouble later. The stock shocks will not perform well with aftermarket lowering springs because of the increased spring rate (they can't handle it). Your looking at Koni's or Bilstein revalves. Koni's will run you more $$ but are the best and if you have the cash I highly recommend them (The SA's are ~$800 for the set). I would start by calling Sam Strano since he offers to speak with you for free and he knows his suspension stuff and he has excellent advise. Calling Sam was one of the best moves I made and he saved me a lot of time/trouble. You can get his number at his website www.stranoparts.com. If you combine those springs w/ a good set of shocks you will be very glad you did.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:34 AM
Launching!

Konis shocks all they way
Old 07-12-2006, 10:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good advice from folks who wanted their cars to handle better...

If that's what you want, a great handler with very good ride quality(firm, not bone-jarring) then Koni's or Bilstein revalves are great choices.

Now, if you're more inclined to do the 1/4 as opposed to having a great handler, getting stiffer springs/shocks is the WRONG way to go, so keep that in mind.

AND, if you're just doing it for the looks and you don't drive your car hard, and ride quality is not necessary, then hey, just change the springs for that lowered look and keep the factory shocks...Ride quality will be ROUGH, but your cars stance will look good.

Calling Sam Strano is one of the best things you can do, he would be able to answer questions specific to YOUR desired end results.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:21 AM
Teching In

hey thanks for the input guys i want to buy shocks but i am saving for a few other things, mostly cosmetic,thanks for the input it is greatly appreciated. my pop is a mechanic with his own shop and not worried about the labor time, he is quick but not sure what i should get as in shocks, he buys cars that dont need ****, 06 zo6, 94 zr-1 to name a couple,lol....

Quick Reply: Installing hotchkis springs. do i need to buy better shocks?