Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

alignment check @home?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2002 | 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic
20 Year Member

Default alignment check @home?

Is there any way to do a rough check of the alignment myself? Also does anyone have the alignment specs? (2000 SS)

<small>[ August 13, 2002, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: patSS/00 ]</small>
Old 08-13-2002 | 10:06 PM
On The Tree

Default Re: alignment check @home?

you can buy a tool that allows you to check camber, caster and toe... but i don't know where to get one...

they just had one for us to use at a test'n'tune that i did a while back...
Old 08-14-2002 | 08:12 AM
TECH Resident

As crazy as this sounds, I've heard if you take a powder or chalk-like dust and roll your tires through it and roll foward or backwards, (depending on where your doing it)look at where the chalk is on the ground and tires, then you can see how the car is aligned...Take it for what it's worth, I heard this from an old man who has been aligning cars for 30+ years. Good Luck!
Old 08-15-2002 | 09:42 PM
Staging Lane

you are better off to take to a alignment shop with up dated equipment aligments are measured off the rear end of the car forward thats how you get a center steering wheel and those bubble gages for camber & caster throw them in the garbage
Old 08-16-2002 | 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by TUFFLS1:
<strong>you are better off to take to a alignment shop with up dated equipment aligments are measured off the rear end of the car forward thats how you get a center steering wheel and those bubble gages for camber & caster throw them in the garbage</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">With some knowledge, some strings, or a 12 foot piece of straight tubing and a couple of cans, and a "bubble" gage you can do a fairly good alignment especially on a car with a non-adjustable rear axle like the F-body.

I recall a great picture of Herb Adams doing just that in his book "Chassis Engineering" (HPBooks-1055) . Although Herb often appeared to be "backwoodsy" in his articles and books, he is a brilliant, intuitive engineer...as he was when I knew him at GM. His book is worth a read. BTW, Herb was one of the "parents" of the Trans AM. Does 'PFST' ring a bell with any historic Pontiac guys?

Try http://www.longacreracing.com/catalo...id=129&catid=5
for "bubble gage".

My $.02

<small>[ August 16, 2002, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: Old SStroker ]</small>