Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

crap. 3 new parts, still sags

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 04:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crap. 3 new parts, still sags

well, bout a month ago i hit a curb on the drivers side and busted some wheels. just got the car back from the shop
they replaced the drivers side front a-arm, spindle and k-member. nothing was replaced on the passenger side. problem is, the car is noticeably sagging on the front driver wheel. of course it is also pulling to the left when i drive any speed. what to look for here? springs? shock? i know the alignment is good.

also the hood seems to be mis-aligned. more of a gap on one side than the other. could this be fender bending from a bad lift? i just hope there isnt serious frame damage here.

thanks
andrew
Old 07-12-2006, 04:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Take it to a shop and have them check the frame.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who told you the alignment was good? I can't see a reputable shop saying that after that kind of carnage and your car still pulls to one side

Check your tie rod and balljoints just to be sure as well. Check for a broken spring or swaybar endlink, bent upper A-arm maybe, bent spindle, anything bent or broken on the front left.

The K-members on these cars are VERY strong and I can't imagine one bending very easily. If you hit a curb hard enough to require a new K-member, I would be very surprised if the frame or any of your front suspension (that hasn't been replaced) is straight at all.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DuronClocker
Who told you the alignment was good? I can't see a reputable shop saying that after that kind of carnage and your car still pulls to one side

Check your tie rod and balljoints just to be sure as well. Check for a broken spring or swaybar endlink, bent upper A-arm maybe, bent spindle, anything bent or broken on the front left.

The K-members on these cars are VERY strong and I can't imagine one bending very easily. If you hit a curb hard enough to require a new K-member, I would be very surprised if the frame or any of your front suspension (that hasn't been replaced) is straight at all.
the local chevrolet body shop is where i took it and it does seem to be aligned ok because theres no vibration in the steering wheel and the ride is smooth.. just sags and pulls left. when my mazda was out of alignment it bounced all over the place.

also the spindle and upper a-arm were replaced so its not them. springs look ok. what do you look for when checking a ball joint?
ONE MORE THING
both tires on the impact side are temporarily replaced with used tires. on the passenger side tread is 90%. driver's maybe 20-30%. same size of course 145/50 16" stock but the tread is less. air pressure of course the same. this difference wlil not explain the sag but could it explain the pulling. the sag is 1-1.5".
Old 07-12-2006, 11:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could explain the pulling...or so would an alignment. An alignment very rarely causes a vibration at speed. That's usually a tire/wheel out of balance, bent, or warped rotors. A rough ride is also seldomly caused by a bad alignment. Unless you have had the alignment checked and not just going by what it feels like, I am going to blame that for the pulling to one side.

Now as to why you are out of alignment, I'm sure it has something to do with the sagging 1" on the left side. There has to be something bent or broken. Period. If everything was as it is supposed to be, it obviously wouldn't be sagging. So either the frame is bent, or there are some suspension pieces that need replacing still.

I vote for going over each suspension piece on both sides of the front of the car to compare what each piece looks like in relation to the other side. If you can't find anything wrong, the next logical step would be to take it to a frame alignment shop and see what they say.

Quick Reply: crap. 3 new parts, still sags